Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elusive military record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 13 Jan 2012 11:59

Hi, I'm fairly new to researching and a bit stuck at the moment. I have managed to find my grandfathers (fathers side) marriage certificate (there is very little known about this side of the family).

On the cert (dated 1908) it says at time of marriage he is serving in RGA (Royal Garrison Artilliary) @ Citidal Plymouth, Devon. Rank of Gunner.

After searching through military records online here and a visit to Kew searching endless micro filche I am no closer to finding a record of him?.

Only other snippet of info I have gleaned from living relatives is that he was once a sargent but was busted back to private for striking an officer!

Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 13 Jan 2012 13:13

A LOT OF RECORDS HAVE BEEN DESTROYED

BUT THERE IS THIS SITE

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/history/

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Jan 2012 14:21

If he went on to serve in WW1 his records, if they've survived (lots haven't) will be on the Ancestry website.

His earlier records, if they were retained, will be on the FindMyPast website.

Shipshape

Shipshape Report 15 Jan 2012 14:50

Hi Steve, Just to say I found out by a birth cert that my
Grandad served in ww1, Has he was in the mines at the time. so I looked on Ancestry when the free look up
was on around the 11th Nov and I found his medal card but nothing else
as other people have said a lot of records have been destroyed
Good Luck Anyway pauline

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 15 Jan 2012 15:17

Try the Great War Forum and see if anyone can help you on there.

J