Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problems with Family Tree Maker 2012

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 18 Jan 2012 11:06

Ever since I got the latest FTM 2012 I have had problems with it "freezing" for minutes at a time and sometimes "not responding". It does it with both old (from FTM 2009) and new Trees.

Ancestry have not been at all helpful. All they do is keep asking questions and then saying do this do that without seeming to have any coherent methodology.

Has anyone else had problems with their FTM 2012?

Gerry :-))

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Jan 2012 11:56

I can't say I have had any problems at all. I recently upgraded to FTM2012. I also have copies of 2011 and 2010 on my second PC and these are fine too.

I think the issue is probably with the internet link to Ancestry that is causing it to freeze up, rather than with the software itself.

Try logging FTM off from Ancestry and see if this stops it freezing. Click on Plan, top left then log out from the Dashboard on the right hand side.

P.S.
Another thought. do you have your FTM tree synchronized with your Ancestry one? I haven't actually tried this yet but I read on one of the FTM forums that some uses were experiencing performance problems. Have a look at Article 5433 on the Ancestry Knowledge Base for more info.

Gerry

Gerry Report 18 Jan 2012 13:22

Thank you for your thoughts Inspector.

I have had more sense from you than from 6 emails from Ancestry!! I switched of the synch some time ago cos it was getting in the way, but I never thought of logging off from Ancestry. Have done so now.

Gerry :-)