Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How great is this!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 18 Jan 2012 13:34

West Yorkshire marriages births baptisms and deaths on Ancestry.
Am presently going through my tree and filling in the gaps !!!!
Joan on a mission.
Only wish Lancashire would do it !

LiverBird1

LiverBird1 Report 18 Jan 2012 14:03

Thanks for the info!! I'm going there now and doing my lot! :-D

Potty

Potty Report 18 Jan 2012 14:44

Do you mean you wish there were images for Lancashire, as there are a lot of transcriptions on lancs-opc.

There are some images for Lancashire on familysearch.

Flick

Flick Report 18 Jan 2012 14:47

It doesn't work that way......Ancestry decide what records they include

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Jan 2012 14:48

Yes, they have been there a while now. I went through all mine before Christmas and found leads which I wasn't aware of. Kept me busy for weeks.

Joan

Joan Report 18 Jan 2012 14:49

Hi Potty
the transcriptions on lancs opc are ok but these yorkshire ones are the images. The marriage certs are from the original registers and the banns give all the dates.
I have saved a pretty penny x And answered lots of up til now unanswerable questions without having the certs.
Joan

*Alison*

*Alison* Report 18 Jan 2012 14:53

Here's the link to some Lancashire parish records on Familysearch.

They have the actual images of records, like the marriage certs :-D
I have saved a fortune aswell using the site below:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F10931813

Joan

Joan Report 18 Jan 2012 15:05

Thanks All
I will take a look Alison, we moved house before christmas and my coveted Family research stuff has just been released from the garage. Joan

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Jan 2012 17:43

Alison - they might call it Lancashire, but it's really just Greater Manchester.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 18 Jan 2012 23:56

Thanks for putting this up its a brilliant site. :-D

Stan

Stan Report 20 Jan 2012 12:00

This is a great source, but users need to be aware that there are many errors in the indexing due to misreading of unusual local names by the transcribers. In addition, a very large number of pre-1813 baptisms and burials which appear in the form 'John, son of John and Mary Smith' have been indexed without a surname, because the surname was not entered immediately after the Christian name. Some records have been indexed to the wrong Church, as the heading at the top of the scan reveals. In other cases this is less obvious, but for example some burials at All Saints, Wakefield (the Parish Church, now Cathedral) have been indexed as Holy Trinity, Wakefield. This Church (now demolished) was on a very cramped site in George Street, and did not have a graveyard. West Yorkshire Archives indexes show that they hold baptism registers from 1843 to1954 and marriage registers from 1844 to 1954, but (not surprisingly) no burial registers, so how the transcribers put down the burials as being at Holy Trinity is difficult to understand.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 20 Jan 2012 12:15

Joan

I'm waiting for the Lancashire records which is next in the pipeline.
There is Liverpool as well which is a great help for some people with Manchester connections :-D :-D