Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THIS BOOK LOOKS V INTERESTING

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 19 Jan 2012 12:38

Coming Soon! The Workhouse Encylopedia is an A-to-Z cornucopia of everything you ever wanted to know about the workhouse in one volume! With more than 250 articles, its 480 pages are packed with facts, figures, maps, charts, tables, statistics, and more than 150 photos and illustrations. Amongst the comprehensive and detailed appendices are the complete text of the official 1847 workhouse rule-book, and a directory of the locations and other details of hundreds of workhouses and associated institutions across the British Isles. The Workhouse Encylopedia includes a huge amount of information not found on the Workhouse web site and will rapidly become the reference book that you'll never want to be without

PRE ORDERS TAKEN ON AMAZON

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Jan 2012 12:43

It would have to be good to beat the workhouses.org website in 480 pages. There are already some good workhouse books out there as well.

Grandparents were Master and Matron of several 1908-1930.

Andy

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 19 Jan 2012 13:04

ANDY
WE HAD A WORKHOUSE IN OUR VILLIAGE BUT IT WAS CALLED THE HALL. I WORKED IN THE LIBRARY AND WHEN PEOPLE CAME TO ASK WHERE IT WAS BECAUSE THEIR ANCESTER WAS BORN IN THE GREAT HALL,THEY WERE NOT HAPPY AT ALL TO FIND WHAT IT WAS

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 19 Jan 2012 14:58

lol dizzy, so funny. Cos at the end of the day, to even find your relative and be able to visit the place where they were is rare these days. I have one in an asylum, i just thought it sad, rather than not happy :-D

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 19 Jan 2012 19:41

I was born in a workhouse.

Hammersmith Hospital in Shepherds Bush was originally a workhouse and I was born there in 1955 - by which time it was a hospital!

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 19 Jan 2012 20:53

PAUL

I BET YOU CAN HAVE A GOOD JOKE WITH THAT

I WAS BORN IN A WORKHOUSE

OUR WORKHOUSE BECAME A HOSPITAL TOO.

BUT WHERN AT WORK IT WAS AMAZING PEOPLES REACTION
TOP THE FACT THEY WERENT TOP DRAW,THERE WAS NOTHING
TO BE ASHAMED OF,LIFE WAS HARD FOR THEM

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 19 Jan 2012 21:25

sefton park workhouse whe?.xre my gg grandmother and her newborn son died in 1905(gg grandmother from tb two wks after giving birth in the workhouse)my g grandmother was a servant in the same workhouse,it then became a hospital were my grandfather died at the age of 48 and several family members over the yrs,and now its the local asda...when i was a child in liverpool in the 60s ,i was taken to sefton park general hospital several times for stitches and check ups
im very interested in workhouse life,and would be interested to see the new book,anyone have any idea of the price.x :-D

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 19 Jan 2012 23:38

FULL PRICE £19.99
PRE ORDER AMAZON £14.99
save £5

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 20 Jan 2012 09:38

I JUST CAME ACROSS
BETHNAL GREEN WORKHOUSE BIRTHS 1902
ALL IT SAYS IS MALE OR FEMALE ,MOTHERS NAME AND HER PARISH

*Alison*

*Alison* Report 20 Jan 2012 11:26

Thanks for letting us know about the workhouse encyclopedia! it looks good, and i got an Amazon voucher for christmas aswell, so i have added the book to my wish list!
Alison.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 3 Apr 2012 20:43

JUST TO UPDATE,I RECIEVED MY PRE ORDERED BOOK LAST WEEK.
ITS EXCELLENT 478 PAGES,FULL OF INFORMATION INCLUDING A LIST OF ALL WORKHOUSES.

Mary

Mary Report 4 Apr 2012 10:23

£13 on Amazon free delivery.

Maryb.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 5 Apr 2012 08:45

HI
BECAUSE I PREORDERED AT £14.99 AND BETWEEBN DATE ORDERED AND PUBLISH DATE THE PRICE WENT DIOWN SO
AMAZON REDUCED MY PRICE,