Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

name changing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 23 Jan 2012 10:45

Hi peeps, does anyone know if, in around 1895-1900 what you would have to have done to change your surname or if you could just call yourself something else.
My grandad dropped his surname and called himself by his second name. he was the only one in his family to do this.
It dosnt make any difference to my research but was just wondering about it.
Thanks
Ann. ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Jan 2012 11:50

You can call yourself any name you want as long as its not to defraud.

You can just make your chosen name known without going through any legal formalities .

Some children took the surname of a stepfather when their mum married or remarried and were known and married in the new name and known by that name on all records.

Janet

Janet Report 23 Jan 2012 11:56

Just change the surname.Exactly the same happened in my family.

My grandfather's middle name was the surname of his father but previously he and all his sibling had the surname of the husband of their mother- if that makes sense. He appears to have changed it prior to his marriage in 1905.. All his sisters kept their original surname but obviously it changed when they got married. On my tree I have entered my grandfather with his later surname and all his sisters with their registered name. -jl

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 23 Jan 2012 12:51

Thanks Shirley & Janet.
At least Im not the only one with this in their family.It just makes me wonder why he changed it.His fathers name was Dart so nothing bad about that as far as I can imagine.My maiden name was Tucker so as you can imagine I got called lots of things!!!! but would never have thought of changing it. ;-)

JerryH

JerryH Report 23 Jan 2012 12:55

Here is more information on the subject:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/change-of-name.htm

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 23 Jan 2012 14:39

Thank you Jeremy,
very interesting reading.
Ann ;-)