Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New at all this can anyone help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2012 15:28

I am trying to build my family tree and in the process maybe try and find out who my father what. Im wondering if i was to get a marriage certificate would it provide me with any helpful details. My mum married my dad but it was a very short marriage and i never knew my dad he never knew about me. I know they got married but the only details my mum will give me is his name and that they got married in 1982. Would it be possible to find out more about him if i was to get a copy of the marriage certificate? I just dont want to buy it and find out it shows nothing.

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Jan 2012 15:35

The marriage cert will give you the name, age & occupation of the bride & groom, & the address(s) they were living at when the marriage took place. It will also give you the names & occupations of the fathers of the bride & groom, details of where the marriage took place & the names of the witnesses.
Quite a bit for you to go on.
Good luck.
Marion

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2012 15:36

Thanks so much for the info Marion, didnt realise they showed that much information i will definately be getting a copy.

regards

Laura

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2012 15:37

Doesn't your own birth cert give his name?

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2012 15:39

I have his name but thats all i have. I dont know anything else only that he married my mum in 1982

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Jan 2012 15:41

Think Laura knows her Dad´s name & the date of the marriage. She´s trying to find out more about him.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2012 15:56

Do you have access to the marriage records to look for the marriage ? if not PM me their name s and area & i will take a look for you and send you the GRO ref so you can order the cert

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2012 16:07

DONE !! :-D