Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gloucestershire Criminal register 1791 - 1892

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar Report 26 Jan 2012 00:44

Hi

Can anybody please help?

I have found two criminal records for Ann Exell in Gloucestershire in 1865 and 1867. How can I tell if they are my ancestor as it gives no year of birth or details to cross reference?

Kind regards
Michelle

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2012 03:59

Are these the 2 records you mean?

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 about Ann Exell

Name: Ann Exell
Date of Trial: 3 Jan 1865
Trial Year: 1865
Location of Trial: Gloucestershire, England
Sentence: Acquittal
Crime: See Image
Date of Execution or Release: See Image

Charged with:- Larceny of a Fixture

Acquitted

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 about Ann Exell

Name: Ann Exell
Date of Trial: 19 Mar 1867
Trial Year: 1867
Location of Trial: Gloucestershire, England
Sentence: Imprisonment
Crime: See Image
Date of Execution or Release: See Image

Charged with:- Housebreaking and stealing therein

Sentence:- 6 months hard labour

and I don't think that you definitively say either of these Ann Exells is yours ............. unless you can find a reference in one of the old newspapers. The local paper may well have carried a report of sentences t court.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2012 04:04

There is this source of old newspapers. This is the original site,

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

You search for free, see the first line or so of the newspaper item ........... but then have to pay either by credit or by taking out a subscription

GR also carries them for an extra charge over and above Gold

sylvia

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 26 Jan 2012 11:39

Looks like she was a naughty girl according to the newspaper reports. To read the full reports you'll have to subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive or use GR credits if you have them....

Western Daily Press
Sat 07 Jan 1865
Bristol, England
GLOUCESTERSHIRE QUARTER SESSION
Ann Exell, acquitted, charged with stealing about 160lbs lead fixed to a building belonging to Mr G. H. Bengough at Wotton-under-Edge.

Bristol Mercury
Sat 23 Mar 1867
Bristol, England
GLOUCESTERSHIRE QUARTER SESSION
Ann Exell, six months, stealing articles from the dwelling of W. Palmer, at Wotton-under-Edge. .

Flick

Flick Report 26 Jan 2012 12:01

The 1865 info posted above is all there is in the paper about the hearing

Ditto 1867

Did your relation live in or near Wotton?

TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar Report 26 Jan 2012 19:32

Hey thanks everyone.

They are the two records i ment, I will take a look in the paper archives this evening. I wonder if she got into anymore trouble!!

Yes Flick, Ann lived in Wotton. I am thinking that Ann Exell may be my GGG Grandma. I had lot's of help trying to trace back from my Canadian Grandad in October, but ill health since then has prevented me from going any further in my search. Now I'm back on my feet I thought I'd tackle that branch again. I think I will probably need to buy a few certificates to be sure if she is my ancester though. In the meantime I was just seeing what else I could find and come across these crimes!

Thanks again xx

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 26 Jan 2012 19:50

Ann Exell is such an uncommon name, I think it's highly unlikely that there are two of them acting as burglars in the same area unless of course its a mother and daughter.
Funnily enough I used to be the Senior Crime Intelligence Analyst for that part of the county. I've never come across that family name before. Hopefully she saw the error of her ways!

TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar Report 26 Jan 2012 20:07

Hi Slartibartfast

Yes it is an unusual name and probably the same person.

IF it is my ancester she was in the workhouse in 1861 with other Exell's, again in 1871 with her Son Walter, who was also still there but alone in 1881. He is my GG Grandad (?) and he emigrated to Canada a few years later. Once in Canada the name was changed slightly to Axtell.

I really need to look into it all again as it has been a while and then decide whether or not to send off for the certificates.

The mystery strts again! Lol

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 26 Jan 2012 20:53

Michelle,

This might save you a few quid;

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/

There are about 300 Exell's listed.

TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar Report 26 Jan 2012 21:00

Thanks very much :-)