Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hazel

Hazel Report 29 Jan 2012 19:01

I am trying to find out more about an uncle of mine who died in World war 2.He was a rear gunner in the R.A.F and died when his plane went down just off Flamborough Head when returning from a mission his body was never recovered and the only memorial to him is at Runnymede I wondered if anyone knows whether a death certificate would have been issued?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Jan 2012 19:16

The reference for his death certificate should be on Findmypast. If you want to give his name I can have a look for you. However the death certificate is unlikely to give you any more information than you already have - except for the actual date.

Kath. x

Hazel

Hazel Report 29 Jan 2012 19:36

Thank you Kath his name was Albert Thomas Lester and he died on 22nd January 1944 age 19

jax

jax Report 29 Jan 2012 19:39

LESTER, ALBERT THOMAS
Initials: A T
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: 578 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 22/01/1944
Service No: 1893217
Additional information: Son of Richard and Georgina Lester, of Long Whatton Leicestershire.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 233.
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

Hazel

Hazel Report 29 Jan 2012 19:52

Thanks very much Jax

jax

jax Report 29 Jan 2012 19:58

Cannot see anything on FMP.... I think it is just Army deaths on there

Hazel

Hazel Report 29 Jan 2012 20:35

Thanks again Jax do you know where I could get a copy of his death certificate ?

jax

jax Report 29 Jan 2012 20:48

No sorry I don't

jax

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 29 Jan 2012 21:03

Don't know if you can get a certificate with the following info from the Gro

Armed Forces BMD details

Registration event: Death
Name: LESTER, Albert T
Unit: 578 Sqdn.
Number: 1893217
Year: 1944
Volume: 9
Page: 199
Record source: GRO War Death R.A.F. All Ranks (1939 to 1948)

Chris

Hazel

Hazel Report 29 Jan 2012 22:47

Thank you for your information Chris your nan looks great for 101

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jan 2012 00:00

Sorry Hazel, I got called away from the computer earlier.

You should be able to order the death certificate with the information Chris gave you.

Kath. x

Hazel

Hazel Report 30 Jan 2012 11:27

Thank you Kath x

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 30 Jan 2012 13:16

Thank you Hazel, she does. Hopefully in March I can change the photo to show her celebrating her 102nd birthday.

Chris

Pam

Pam Report 30 Jan 2012 15:37

Runnymede Memorial is well worth a visit.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 30 Jan 2012 20:34

Might be worth taking a look at

http://www.578squadron.org.uk/home.html

The hamlet of Burn, which lies two miles south of Selby in North Yorkshire, was rudely disturbed in the early 1940’s when a large Royal Air Force airfield was established immediately alongside.

The first occupants were No. 1653 Heavy Conversion Unit RAF. They formed at RAF Polebrook in January 1942 to convert crews for the Consolidated Liberator for duties in the Middle East, moving to RAF Burn in June 1942. The units stay was short lived however and it was disbanded in October 1942.

The first operational squadron arrived shortly afterwards, they were the Canadians of 431 Squadron who arrived in November 1942, leaving in July 1943 for Tholthorpe with their Wellingtons. Bomber Command was expanding rapidly when the newly formed 578 Squadron arrived in February 1944 with its huge four engined Halifax aircraft. Soon, aircrew and ground staff were to outnumber the local population by about ten to one.

During its fourteen months of occupation of RAF Burn, the Squadron flew 2,722 sorties against the strongly armed enemy, suffering grievous losses of aircraft and 219 aircrew but making a substantial contribution to the final victory.

Few operational Squadrons can have excelled the record of that of 578 in so short a period, during which its aircrews earned 79 Distinguished Flying Medals, 144 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 2 Distinguished Service Orders and the ultimate recognition for valour, the Victoria Cross, awarded posthumously to Pilot Officer C J Barton, the only Halifax Bomber pilot to be so honoured. The President of the United States of America ordered the posthumous award of the Silver Star for Gallantry in Action to the first Commanding Officer, Wing Commander DSS Wilkerson DSO, DFC

When the Squadron was stood down in March 1945, such was the spirit of camaraderie and mutual respect which had been created within itself and the local civilian community, that the 578 Squadron Burn Association was formed to keep the memory alive. This is still strongly supported by veterans, some of whom, even at an advanced age, are prepared to travel from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States of America as well as all parts of the United Kingdom, to attend the annual Reunion in May.

Following many years of research by individual members, the Association is proud to present the following pages which briefly describe how 578 Squadron was formed, the airfield at Burn, the Halifax aircraft flown there from and the airmen who crewed and serviced them. A list and brief report is given on every operation flown against the enemy, losses sustained, honours and awards gained, personal experiences and other subjects worthy of the record.

The majority of the content of this web-site has been gathered from the sections of the 578 Squadron book "Based at Burn MkII" by Hugh Cawdron and in co-operation with the Squadron Association Newsletter "THE LK TIMES"

Hazel

Hazel Report 31 Jan 2012 10:37

Thanks Jillian will certainly have a look at the web site