Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish birth help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jan 2012 17:33

i am trying to trace my great great grandmother Mary Riordan 1st May 1881,
she was born and married (george storey, have certificate) in Fermoy Co Cork, from this I have her father down as being John but have no other family ancestry information on her

on ancestry i think this is her
Name: Mary Riordan
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1881
Registration district: Fermoy
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 669
FHL Film Number: 101058

and on igi
name: Mary Riordan
registration district: Fermoy
event type: BIRTHS
registration quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1881
estimated birth year:
age (at death):
mother's maiden name:
film number: 101058
volume number: 4
page number: 669
digital folder number: 4193459
image number: 00177

but a couple of the number don't match and I have no idea how to go about trying to get a copy as there is no link!!!!
Sorry to be a pain as this is probably basic knowledge just not sure where to start
thank you for looking
sarah

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 30 Jan 2012 17:57

There are 28 Mary Riordan's (various spellings) born in Co. Cork in 1881.
That is, according to the civil registration index. You will probably find that quite a few of them will have a father called John. If you are positive about her date of birth, then you will be able to rule out a few of them. The only way to be sure will be to order the certificates and check the fathers name and occupation on the birth certificate with what you have on the marriage cert.
Nothing in Ireland is straight forward.
Have you found her on the 1901 census. Is her father living nearby?

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jan 2012 18:11

unfortunately she was married by the 1901 census and her husband was a soldier and they are living in England, Colchester, to make things easier lol.
My Nan (their daughter) did mention something about her mothers brothers emigrating to america but how true this is I don't know, as i never asked her till later on in life and I have no names to go on, very frustrating :-(
Where do you order the irish certficates from?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 30 Jan 2012 18:27

Sarah....

Where was Mary living when she married..and does the MC show which Church...who were the witness'.....

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 30 Jan 2012 18:27

http://www.groireland.ie/about_us.htm

The cheapest option is to order a plain paper photocopy for 6 euros rather than pay 10 euros for a certified copy. You may have to order a few to get the right woman.

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Jan 2012 18:52

thank you Slartibartfast

It say's the Roman Catholic Chapel of Fermoy, the witnesses were William Rice and Mary Leordon (her sur-names not easy to read but def doesn't start with a R