Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer Buffs?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wend

Wend Report 11 Feb 2012 11:45

I have just added Adblock to my add-ons in Firefox. I am no longer getting ads on GR, but they're still there on Hotmail. It seems I have to pay for Adblock Plus on Hotmail. Any advice please?

Also, Firefox is recommending that I update to Firefox 10.0.1, but I seem to recall reading about problems this can cause with browsing. Can anyone help?

Wend

Wend Report 11 Feb 2012 20:24

Can't believe I've had no response to these 2 queries. Now all the ads are back and jiggling about everywhere AND I made a $5 contribution as requested when I added the Adblock add-on - grrr!

Where's Inspector Green Pen when you need him?

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 11 Feb 2012 21:21

I have FF 10.0.1 and Adblock Plus on my computer and I see absolutely NO ads, not on hotmail, GR or anywhere else.
You certainly don't need to pay to use Adblock Plus to block the annoying ads on hotmail.
Have you got any 'filter subscriptions' activated on Adblock? If not, it won't block much!

No problems so far with FF 10.0.1 either.

Wend

Wend Report 11 Feb 2012 22:21

Thanks BeverleyW - will check 'filters subs' tomorrow.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 11 Feb 2012 22:39

P.S: - 'filter subscriptions' doesn't imply that you have to pay a subscription to use the filters.
I have just two activated and they are free.

DF

DF Report 11 Feb 2012 22:50

Beverley,
Do you use Ancestry? I have put off updating to Firefox 10.0.1 because it says it will interfere with the Ancestry Image viewer. I spoke to Ancestry and they said there WOULD be a problem....don't know what to do!
Debs

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Feb 2012 11:04

Out of circulation yesterday - grandson's birthday.....!

I have used Adblock Plus for several years now in conjunction with Firefox and it is easy to use. However, it isn't automatic and you do need to select certain images first in order for them to be blocked.

Right click on the image and select Ablock Plus, block image. Select the level at which you wish to block. The second of the 4 options is normally about right. Start at the top level and work down if you are not too sure.

Whilst it doesn't stop the image downloading in the background it does speed things up a bit by preventing the screen from continually having to repaint it.

Rollo, thanks for the inf on editing hosts. I will certainly give it a try although it is probably just a tad too technical for the majority of members reading this.

Mary J

Mary J Report 12 Feb 2012 13:45

Many thanks to RolloThe Red, I have used Adblock + for many years on FF and more recently on Chrome and have always been amazed when seeing others computers without it just how much rubbish it gets rid of. But as stated the ads are still being downloaded in the background, so I have just followed the instructions regarding adding to the "Host" file and the speed increse on both FF & Chrome is quite amazing.
For those of a nervous disposition all I did was navigate to the address given by Rollo and opened the Host file with notepad then copied and pasted his list at the bottom of what was already there, then went to File - Save. I did then restart the computer even though I wasn't sure if that was necessary.

Mary J

Wend

Wend Report 13 Feb 2012 09:07

Sorry I haven't come back sooner to thank you all for your help. I see Rollo has deleted, what a shame.

I have now updated Firefox, but find that Hotmail is frozen, ie I can't open my e-mails.

Any advice would be much appreciated (again!)

Thanks, Wend