Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family hand downs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 11 Feb 2012 19:53

I found in the loft of a house I moved into a small case in which there were some pieces which I would think the decendants would like. I don't want to post details for fear of someone claiming the things and they don't rightly belong to them. Can anyone give me any pointers as to how or where I can begin to find there rightful owners.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Feb 2012 20:02

Linda, if there are any names associated with the items you could try a "Search Trees" (above) to see if you can trace anyone that way.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 11 Feb 2012 20:26

cant you trace back the owners of the house then start a search for them......

Linda

Linda Report 11 Feb 2012 20:54

The lady I bought from was widowed and old and returning to Tel Aviv, I only know her married surname.

Some items do have the surname engraved but there are 300 on "Search Trees" and I haven't a clue on christian names or where they were born. The is an initial of D engraved before the surname.

That's all I have to go on.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Feb 2012 20:57

Would the solicitors that you used when you bought the house have a forwarding address for the lady, or at least her full name?

Kath. x

Linda

Linda Report 11 Feb 2012 21:08

Her solicitors is no longer in existence also the old lady was very old when I bought the property and I didn't find the case for years after so she is more than likely dead. I was just hoping there were some family still in England.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 Feb 2012 21:10

You could check the electoral register for your house and see who was living there with her perhaps, if she was there a while.
Jan

Linda

Linda Report 11 Feb 2012 21:13

That's an idea Jean, at least it's somewhere to start.
Thank you.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 Feb 2012 21:14

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
(Who is Jean?? - just teasing!).
Jan

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 12 Feb 2012 11:36

Maybe some of the neighbours will know if she had family etc.

Marion

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Feb 2012 13:06

It's only a thought but if she was "returning to Tel Aviv" was she perhaps Jewish? The Rabbi at the nearest Synagogue to where you live might remember her and if she had family?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 12 Feb 2012 17:50

Get in touch with the Local Council Land Registry.they more likely have records for the house and you can go search the registers yourself and you don't have to pay for a search..

Good Luck.
Sue