Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Eastaugh - b:1798, d:1866

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 14 Feb 2012 15:11

I know William Eastaugh died on 11th August 1866, age 68, in Wangford, Suffolk, as I have a newspaper article relating to the inquest into his death. I also have his burial details from the Parish Records Collection. I would love to get a copy of his death certificate, but so far I have been unable to find an entry for his death in the records.
I've tried different spellings of his name, tried wild cards, tried without using a christian name, searched over a couple of years etc. etc., all without success.
Can anyone suggest what else I can try?
Many thanks,
Valerie.

Valerie

Valerie Report 14 Feb 2012 16:18

I suppose he could have been a William George, but none of my paperwork actually shows the 'George' bit.
I agree everything seems to fit apart from the quarter of registration. Dying in August should show him registered in the Jul-Aug-Sept quarter.
If I don't get anything else, it may be worth sending for the above certificate, simply to rule it out, if nothing else. I'll hold off for a while though.
Thanks for your efforts; much appreciated.

Choccy

Choccy Report 14 Feb 2012 16:21

the only one I can see is this one -

Deaths Mar 1865 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EASTAUGH William Yarmouth 4b 10

he was buried on the 16th August 1866, but he could have died earlier out of area ?

Parish Records Collection 1538-2005 - Burial

First name(s): William

Last name: EASTAUGH

Date of burial: 16 Aug 1866

Age at death: 68

Calculated year of birth: 1798

Place of burial: Wangford [nr Southwold]

Dedication: St Peter

County: Suffolk

Notes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wangford [nr Southwold] St Peter:

Denomination: Anglican

Coverage: 1813 - 1900

Number of entries: 1,112

Record source: National Burial Index

Data provider: Suffolk Family History Society

Joy

Joy Report 14 Feb 2012 16:22

Interestingly, there are some trees in ancestry that look as if they have him, if born Darsham, and his siblings and parents, but no death date :-S

Joy

Joy Report 14 Feb 2012 16:37

Is his wife Mary who died in 1858? -
http://bmd-cert-exch-site.ourwardfamily.com/deaths/deaths_e.htm

Valerie

Valerie Report 14 Feb 2012 16:57

Thanks for your input Choccy. William definitely died in Wangford (the Angel Inn to be precise, where he fell through a trap-door in the hay loft and died!!) and the details you give from the Parish Records are the same as I have.

Yes, Joy Kentish Maid, it is all a tad confusing. William was born at Darsham and it's somewhat conforting (if that's the right word) to know that other members have him but without a death date, too.

Valerie

Valerie Report 14 Feb 2012 17:01

Yes, Joy, that is William's wife.

Joy

Joy Report 14 Feb 2012 19:12

Unfortunately sometimes a death is not registered; this happened - or rather, did not happen - in the case of a great-grandfather of mine. I have his burial record from the parish register but the death was not registered, this having been checked by the local registrar.

Valerie

Valerie Report 14 Feb 2012 21:10

I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the information that I have.
The Parish Records gives all the basic information and the newpaper articles gives me the cause of death (and a lot more besides), so I'm pretty lucky to have gathered so much details anyway.
Thanks for all your help folks.