Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What site is best to get certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hayley

hayley Report 20 Feb 2012 14:52

Hi do you know what site is best to order certificates at a reasonable price as there are many sites but they have very high prices thanks

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Feb 2012 15:04

For England and Wales, order from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

£9.25 each. Should take about 5 working days to arrive in post.

Andy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Feb 2012 16:00

The site Andrew has given you is the official government site; you won't get English and Welsh BMD cheaper anywhere else.

The cost includes 2nd class or airmail postage and packing,

All major credit cards and debit cards accepted.

Sally

Sally Report 21 Feb 2012 14:07

hello ie that anormal time to wait 5 working days i have been waiting since the 13 of jan do you think i should get in toutch with them

sally w

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Feb 2012 14:33

If you ordered from GRO and you are in the UK, then I think they should have arrived by now. I have never had to wait more than about 10 days.

If you are not in the UK then much will depend on your local postal delivery service and if you ordered through another agency, then I have no idea how long they might take. I believe some are better than others.

Sally

Sally Report 21 Feb 2012 15:05

thankyou andysmum

i will email them it is gro i have not waited so long before

thanks sally w

Sally

Sally Report 21 Feb 2012 21:14

thankyou pigletspaal for that info

i did not think of that :-S

sally w

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Feb 2012 14:25

Sally

It still amazes me that we all seem to have forgotten to just phone up with a query when there is a number there. We have become so reliant on technology.

I have always where possible made that personal contact, it really works. Especially if contacting something like a church. Yes, many do have websites, but often the person running is not the person who set it up and has very little time to answer emails along with everything else. I have emailed several churches over the years and got no reply, but a quick call has resulted in a very quick answer to my query.

I also still post letters.

This digital age has I fear made many of us forget the old fashioned ways of the world :-) And I have been using computers for 20+ years, via work and home.

Dennis

Dennis Report 23 Feb 2012 13:44

Can anyone tell me where I can find records of service for civil defence workers during wwll. I have tried Military records without sucess.
Dennis

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Feb 2012 16:16

I doubt that they will be online Dennis. Have you tried the relevant County Records Office?

Kath. x

Sally

Sally Report 23 Feb 2012 19:58

hello pigletspal

have phoned today but they had returned my money the guy i spoke to said he did not know why and try again

since then i have found two death dates for the same name and same place so if i phone wood they tell me the corect one

thanks for any help sally w

ps i can not find two birth dates

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Feb 2012 18:08

Sally,

Sadly, no, the GRO will not tell you the correct one. They will only issue a cert based on the info you provide, not do lookups for you. However, if you have sufficient additional information you can order without the GRO ref entering the year that you believe the event occurred as 01/01/YYYY. The GRO will then search that year with the info you provide, plus one either side. Only enter data that you are absolutely certain of.

Alternatively, and depending on the office concerned - you might have more success with the smaller less busy offices - you could try contacting the local Register Office where the event was first registered. They will some times check things for you as a favour.

Sally

Sally Report 25 Feb 2012 23:41

hello ipg
sorry i have not returned before i did return and thei was no more replys i did not look again very remiss of me sorry

thanks for the info

sally w :-(