Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baptisms, St.Anne, Limehouse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 23 Feb 2012 10:50

I have found the details of the baptisms of Eliza Wood born 1854, John Davies Wood born 1855, Mary Emma Wood born 1858 & Margaret Alexander born 1860 all taking place January 16th 1868 at St.Anne Limehouse the mother..Emma died in December 1863 and the father Thomas died December 1867. I am slightly confused by this and wondered if this was unusual. Thomas & Emma did have 5 other children the oldest at this time would have been 24. Margaret & John were taken to live in Cornwall shortly afterwards to live with the brothers of Thomas.

Adeline

Adeline Report 23 Feb 2012 11:47

I don't think it was unusual to have several children baptised together. My great-grandparents had several of their children baptised on the same day in 1893.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Feb 2012 12:04

MY FAMILY HAD THEM ALL BAPTISED AT THE SAME TIME

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 23 Feb 2012 13:38

The first 5 were baptised together, but I wondered if it was unusual because the second lot were baptised after the death of the parents.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 23 Feb 2012 14:42

Not come across it before myself. I wonder who it was who took it upon themselves to have them all baptised.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Feb 2012 15:48

The original record doesn't say anything about the parents being deceased. It gives father's occupation as blacksmith.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 23 Feb 2012 15:49

Don't know much about this family but can confirm from my own Alexander line all living in the same area in south London, 2 genarations were baptised over 2 weekends - some even as adults just before marrying. The census' are a mess because the children are list all incorrectly - there are children, grandchildren, siblings children, those born out of wedlock & cousins. Taken me ages to sort them all out and has cost a bomb in certs proving which child belonged to which parents.

The good thing though never mind what scandal all the children were kept within the family. A colourful family - somebody must have had a religious conversion :-D

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 23 Feb 2012 16:48

I have the Death Certificates for both of the parents, Emma died 28.December.1863 and Thomas 28.December.1867 he was indeed a Blacksmith (Journeyman) the baptisms would have taken place 19 days after he died.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 23 Feb 2012 21:31

gardenpest29
If you are sure you have the correct family and the address is correct then just accept it.

The father may have been ill at the time the baptism was booked. The children may have been living with other famlily members at the time. There are many cases where fathers are not present or have died. Church clergy didn't seem to check the parentage of children - they seemed to accepted what families told them.
Older children over 14 didn't have to have their parents consent or even be present.

Just rechecked my own grandfather's brother - he was baptised almost 2 months after their father died. Know it is correct because the address on the baptism record is correct. it also does not mention on the bapt cert he is dead. My great aunt Daisy - her mother died in childbirth but her baptism record gives her mothers name but there is no mention of her having died.

When researching you may find also children not baptised born to a 1st wife and later the 2nd wife is declared as the mother.

Think churches were more concerned with 'souls' not who the parents of the children were.

For many children born out of wedlock the one good thing I've found with many baptism records is that the real father is often declared on the records but on the birth records there is no father mentioned :-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Feb 2012 08:41

It may have had something to do with hoping to be eligible for Parish Relief?

Cx

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 24 Feb 2012 09:09

Thank you all for your help.