Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WERE THESE" HOLDENS" MORMONS?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

^ ^ ^ Ancient Egyptian Spinx ^ ^ ^

^ ^ ^ Ancient Egyptian Spinx ^ ^ ^ Report 25 Feb 2012 09:54

Have found these ancestors of mine who emigrated to BEAVER UTAH in the 1800s. I know from my googling that mormons and jews were drawn to Utah amongst others. Am wondering how and where I can find out more about these people. They are-

Georgius Holden M Margaret or Peggy Baynes
brn abt 1764 Garstang lancs. brn abt 1766
died1840 UTAH

THEIR CHILDREN ARE - PEGGY 1788
ANN 1790
NANNY1793
JULIAN 1795
GEORGE 1797
WILLIAM 1800
JULIANA 1802
ELIZABETH 1807
CUTHBERT 1810
Wonder what made them want to go to Utah?

Thank you for any light you can shed . :-) Adding to now , just read that mormons didnt arrive in Britain till 1837- 1840 that could prob rule out him being mormon possibly!!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Feb 2012 11:36

All of the records on the IGI for George Holden born Garstang are submitted more recently by members of the Mormon Church.

There is this record however which is taken from locally listed records. The christening is not too far from Gartstang (Roman Catholic):-

GEORGIUS HOLDING
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
07 FEB 1764 St Mary-Rc, Samlesbury, Lancashire, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: GORGII HOLDING
Mother: ANNAE

Kath. x

^ ^ ^ Ancient Egyptian Spinx ^ ^ ^ Report 25 Feb 2012 13:03

Thank you Kath thats something to go on x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Feb 2012 13:24

I believe the Mormon trek to Utah didn't start until 1847.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Feb 2012 13:27

The city of Beaver, Utah wasn't settled until 1856.

^ ^ ^ Ancient Egyptian Spinx ^ ^ ^ Report 25 Feb 2012 14:13

mmm on family search it said he died at Beaver utah in 1840. This is some jigsaw puzzle.

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Feb 2012 14:33

If it´s a submitted record on Familysearch, there´s no guarentee of it´s accuracy.
Only the extracted records are fairly reliable, but even then, should be checked with the originals.
If your ancestor was a Catholic, it´s unlikely (though not impossible) that he would become a Mormon.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 25 Feb 2012 14:48

they were not Rc as all the children up to William were baptised at St Helen's Garstang with parents names registered as George and Peggy Holding (not Holden) and Juliana at St Michaels on Wyre (cf lan-opc.org.uk)

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Feb 2012 15:23

So the baptism that Kath Bell found isn´t the one we´re looking for??

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 25 Feb 2012 16:10

I would guess not - the mother's name is different as well

I think Garstang had it's own RC church from about1788

^ ^ ^ Ancient Egyptian Spinx ^ ^ ^ Report 25 Feb 2012 16:21

Thank you all, I am still looking at google trying to find evidence of British people emigrating to Utah in the early 1800s,, everything I have looked at so far just points to Europeans and Jewish. I know many people would change their religion around that time and as I said earlier many became mormons but after 1840 , so the later wont apply to my ancestor.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Feb 2012 21:22

see if you can find anything on **Ellis Island ** lists of ships and its passengers to USA.,,,,,,,its free,,,,,,,home page lets you submit names ..

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 25 Feb 2012 22:09

Er-Kay????

Ellis Island?
Perhaps
http://www.castlegarden.org/

Must admit I'm not following this conversation.

Maureen

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 25 Feb 2012 23:14

Also-we're all aware of the (please let me be PC about this and I am truly sorry if I offend) "sealing" of people within the faith.

Again-I'm very sorry.

Maureen
PS probably got it all wrong. Baptisms.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Feb 2012 23:55

Kay, Ellis Island records start in 1892.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2012 01:51

it is very difficult determining whether someone is or is not Mormon ........

so many of the records on familysearch are "submitted" with NO documentation ......... it is generally suspected that most of the family records on there are made up to fit known facts, at least in part.

Then we have the fact that modern-day Mormons have long submitted records of their ancestors to be admitted to the faith, so that families will not be separated after death ................ I have read somewhere that they can go back 10 generations.

Nevertheless, the facts remain that the Mormon religion was found in the 18120s by Joseph Smith, who then lived in western New York State

He claimed that he had some sort of illuminating experience during which the 500 or so pages of the Mormon Book were dictated to him over a period of 60 days in mid-1829. Smith's first vision of this "new" church was apparently in 1820. The Church of Christ was officially organized in 1830.

Members of this new church were persecuted from the start, and moved to Kirtland, Ohio, and to Jackson County. Missouri. They were expelled from Missouri in 1833 and from Kirtland in early 1838.

Smith was killed in 1844, and the majority of the church members went with Brigham Young, who moved the group to Utah, beginning in 1847.

Missionaries began to go to Europe, South America, and down to Australia in 1849-52

Over 70,000 Mormon converts immigrated to Utah between 1847-1877 ......... many from England and Scandinavia

I think what you are faced with here is the admission of ancestros into the Mormon faith by later descendants.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2012 01:52

Ellis Island did not admit immigrants until 1892 ........... you may be lucky and find something on the Castle Garden site.

^ ^ ^ Ancient Egyptian Spinx ^ ^ ^ Report 26 Feb 2012 20:04

Thanks again for all your help x