Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Religion training ships

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glynis

Glynis Report 25 Feb 2012 14:58

Hello
I have a relative who is supposed to have been put on a sailing ship in the 19th century to be trained as a priest. It is known that he did indeed read latin even though he came from a strongly methodist area.
Does anyone know about such ships and /or if latin was used in other religions than RC ?
Many thanks
Glynis

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 25 Feb 2012 15:37

I always thought that Latin was the universal language for most religions and also used by the legal profession, that's why old will have Latin terms and some where all in Latin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_language

the Latin language (qua Medieval Latin) was in effect a universal language of literati in the Middle Ages, and the language of the Vulgate Bible, in the area of Catholicism which covered most of Western Europe and parts of Northern and Central Europe also.

literati; meening Intellectuals or those who read and comment on literature

Roy

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 25 Feb 2012 23:47

I took latin as a language in the late 70s,took it for two yrs,and i can translate most latin into english even now 30 odd yrs later.it was dropped from the school cerriculum in favour of french and german. :-)

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 26 Feb 2012 01:34

OK-I'll ask.
Glynis-where did this info come from please?

Maureen

Potty

Potty Report 26 Feb 2012 11:57

Suzanne, maybe you could help moonbi on this thread (she has a will in Latin that she needs translating):

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1293156