Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Died in Paddington - where buried please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 29 Feb 2012 15:12

Searching for Henry Brown born about 1810 who lived in Paddington (possilby on the marylebone border) and died sometime after 1854.
I am trying to eliminate deaths in the GRO between 1854 and 1885 before paying a fortune for certificates (of about 10 of them!
If anyone knows where he is likely to be buried, I will happily search through the burials at various churches and cemeteries. I know that some went to Hanwell once it was opened but any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you so much
Sylvie

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Feb 2012 15:26

To narrow your search you need to check what was the last census he was on, so if he is on the 1881 census and not the 1891 you no to look after that 1881 and before 1891

Roy

Foggy

Foggy Report 29 Feb 2012 15:29

There is a very large cemetery on the Harrow road at Kensel green where mainly people from Paddington and Marylebone are buried.

Kensel green cemetery Harrow road, W10 020 8969 0152

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Feb 2012 16:13

Ancestry has far too many to know which would be the correct one,,,all buried in St Marylebone.although if gives date of death and where ,many offer no more information than a name age and burial date.

It would be a tough one unless there is a headstone transcription with further details.....then 2 Henry Browns could have married to same name woman.

would he have left a Will?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Feb 2012 16:19

Have a look on http://www.deceasedonline.com/

There are several possibles after 1854, the last know year you have.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Feb 2012 17:13

That's a big time-span.................over 30 years

Can't you find him on a census?

Not all graves had headstones, and those of that era may well have been removed by now

Age at death is on the GRO index after 1869

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 29 Feb 2012 17:44

Thank you all. This is a desperate attempt to trace this Henry who does not appear on any census with his family.He has been my brick wall for 10 years! (I have all of his wife's details and several children but nothing much has helped pin him down. I have only a marriage for him and that he had several children whilst living in PAddington. I have managed to reduce the deaths in this period from 33 to 9 and thought I might be able to reduce them more by looking at the London burials on Ancestry in which there is usually an age, I could probably eliminate a few more of those that are in the indexes before 1869. I have previously searched likely cemetery records without success. It was church burial registers that I was considering looking at and where people from Paddington might be buried.
I will have a look at the St Marylebone ones again.
Thanks again

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Feb 2012 20:33

there is Paddington Old Cemetry Willesden Lane Kilburn,,,records are held with Brent CC,Parks and Cemetries.

google gives a tel number and a basic free name search didnt reveal him...

Kensal Rise ?

George

George Report 29 Feb 2012 21:35

There is also the st, Marylebone cemetery just off the A405 ( North circular road) about half a mile after where the A1 junctions off (North London).

Burials for Paddington are at Kensal green on the Harrow road as old foggs said.

George ( a Paddington man )

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 29 Feb 2012 23:02

Thank you - I will look into both of these
Sylvie (A Paddington lass...but a long time ago!)

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 1 Mar 2012 10:03

There is also St Mary on Paddington Green.

Although I believe the last burials there were around the 1850s which may make them a little too early for you.

Some headstones still exist around the edges of the Green but most are now unreadable (some destroyed by workmen) Sarah Siddons the actress was buried there in 1831.

Have you tried The london Metropolitan Archives?

Another former Paddington Lass! :-D

Loopylou

Loopylou Report 1 Mar 2012 12:58

you say you have a M/C.does it give what occupation he had ?also he coould have died in a different area ?do you know where his wife was buried?
l found one of my mob,died miles away from his home in hospital.another died in Australi
regards B

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 1 Mar 2012 21:48

Sorry to say this but there were very small grave yards at some of the churches in Paddington ..but again dont know if they to are on boarders .....

IE: theres one (was) one in Harrington Road but its now a carpark the church is still there and the bodies have been moved but again dont know where to

sorry not much help and I,m only half certain Harrington Road is boardered by Paddington

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 2 Mar 2012 01:59

Have you tried the St. Marylebone Cemetery at Finchley. Now called East Finchley Cemetery.

http://tinyurl.com/St-Marylebone-Cemetery

(Probably the same one mentioned by George)