Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Backup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 1 Mar 2012 11:50

I have all my research and notes on the GR system, some 7000 people. I am advised that I really should have some software on my computer which backs up all this GR system info, which will also enable me to do some other wonderful things! Does anyone know of any suitable software which is compatible with GR?? I don't know exactly how GEDCOM works, but I guess I'm looking to download absolutely everything in one go.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks .. Peter

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 1 Mar 2012 11:58

There are plenty of commercial Family Tree packages out there
from Roots Magic to Family Tree Maker.

Plus there are some Free on the net (some kind person will hopefully list them)

But one thing to remember is that with GEDCOM files you will lose all your photos when transferring from GR to any other 'site'. Will not affect you tree etc., on here.

:-)

Potty

Potty Report 1 Mar 2012 12:11

And make sure you keep a copy on an external device and not just on your computer, which is more likely to crash than GR!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Mar 2012 14:49

You can still get your Gedcom from GR without having a Program on your pc, it is sent via email as an attachment,

You will however need a family tree program to use the file on your pc

Whilst you sort out a program you could always store and backup your Gedcom using a disc or memory stick,
for info on Gedcom's use the two links below

http://genealogy.about.com/od/family_tree_software/a/Genealogy-Gedcom.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEDCOM

Roy

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 1 Mar 2012 19:53

This is a good site for comparison of free programs

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-genealogy-family-tree-software.htm

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 1 Mar 2012 23:03

Some interesting information given here,thanks for adding this.

Trish
:-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Mar 2012 09:18

For what it's worth, my advice is only ever to use web sites, or indeed any other location that you have no direct control over, for "throw away" copies of your tree.

I maintain all my master records on my home PC using FTM (Family Tree Maker), and back up and store everything of importance safely on a regular basis.

My trees on GR, Ancestry, Tribal etc are simply updated from time to time from FTM. If the data on there ever gets trashed then no problem - I simply upload a new file from my PC.