Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills & Probate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 1 Mar 2012 20:42

Can anyone tell me if the Will / Probate records found on Ancestry include the full information or is it just a snippit of what is on the Will? I don't want to waste my money on ordering it if the info is exactly the same as on Ancestry.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks Lou

Joy

Joy Report 1 Mar 2012 21:13

A snippet - an example from probate records: Thomas Stone of 79 Walworth Road, Surrey, sperm refiner, died 14 May, 1895, probate 5 June to Ann Eliza Stone spinster Effects £123 5s. 6d.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 1 Mar 2012 21:22

Lou,

What is contained in the database on Ancestry is not a copy or indeed an extract of the will itself. It is merely the entry in the probate calendar confirming that either a will was proven or that administration was granted.

The person(s) named (Other than the deceased) is/are the person(s) to whom probate was granted or the executors named by the deceased in their will.

Kense

Kense Report 1 Mar 2012 21:28

If the entry in ancestry mentions probate then there should be a will. If it says Letters of Administration then the person died intestate and there is not usually any useful information above that in the summary on Ancestry.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 1 Mar 2012 23:44

there is sometimes some useful information in the letters of administration as there is sometimes extra information about the person to whom the administration was granted

Kense

Kense Report 2 Mar 2012 07:17

You may well br right lancashureAnn but I have ordered three and there was no extra information on those.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 2 Mar 2012 13:37

the one I had which gave extra info was one that apart from the people named on the probate index with their addresses etc, 2 other people with their addresses and occupations were named as Sureties which enabled me to definitely tie in 2 other sons

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 2 Mar 2012 19:27

I had one which gave the addresses of the two Administrators also details about the marriage and divorce of the person that had died which was not in the transcript on Ancestry.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Mar 2012 16:28

Hi to you all,

Thanks so much for the advice and info which has been very helpfull. Will's and Probate still confuse me, but it's been made a little clearer now, so thanks again to you all for your thoughts, comments and help all of which are very much appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to you all,

Regards Lou.

Val

Val Report 7 Mar 2012 15:26

If u go to probate office there is a snippet then u can order will for a £5

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 7 Mar 2012 16:46

wills or letters of administration each cost £6 now and can be ordered from the York Probate registry Office which I understand has now moved from York to Leeds. Postal orders only.

for more info

http://www.theprobatedepartment.co.uk/

Val

Val Report 7 Mar 2012 20:07

Get them in Exeter as well