Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to make new tree on Family Tree Maker 2010?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 3 Mar 2012 20:39

Hi, I have Family Tree Maker 2010. I have a tree with just my direct line on, and now I am trying to make another tree with one of the surnames from my direct line. Is there a way that I can get the names I want transferred onto my new tree, without all the names I don't want being transferred?
An idiots guide please! :-D

Tina

Tina Report 3 Mar 2012 21:53

Try looking in the help for FTM 2010 - in the index - type export - see, person in tree. I think you will find what you need. It says you can select those you want and exclude those you do not, using the filter.

I've not done it in 2010 as, having bought it, I found the trees less useful than 2006 which I stick to using because I can go in and out of a tree to anyone displayed and not just back to the person the tree was drawn from. If you find how to do that in 2010 do let me know, please.

Jan.

Jan. Report 3 Mar 2012 22:06

Thanks Tina. Will have a look at it in the next few days.
Though I'm not all that good at following instructions, I'll have a bash and let you know how I get on. It won't be till sometime early next week now before I'm able to do it.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 4 Mar 2012 10:51

I hope Jan will not mind my joining in here :-)

I am also trying to work out how to use various bits of FTM 2010

I have several inter marriages between families eg Wells/Scott/Cooper/Hughes-traveller families.

Having entered a marriage between Henry Scott and Ellen Wells on the Scott line if I then enter it on the Wells line do I have put in the parents etc again ?
It seems to start a new line if I do :-|

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Mar 2012 11:51

If you already have the parents entered then no, you don't put them in again Select the person you wish to add the existing parent to, then click the Person menu, then Attach / detach person, choose mother / father etc and select the person you want from the list of names.

If you have already entered them them, then you will as you say, create new lines. However, if you have duplicate names then simply merge the names together. I find this easier if you make a list of the names you need to merge then go through them one by one.

To merge existing names select an instance of the name you wish to merge, click the Person menu then Merge two specific individuals.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 4 Mar 2012 13:52

Many thanks IGP

Explained by you it makes more sense than the "Help" on Ancestry !!

Jan.

Jan. Report 5 Mar 2012 17:12

Hi Tina,
Well, I mananged to do it - eventually!

Here are the instructions.

To export a tree

Click File > Export. The Export dialog box opens.

Select Entire file to export everybody in the tree or Selected individuals to export only the people that you choose.

If you chose Selected Individuals, the Filter Individuals dialog box opens. Use the filter tools to select the individuals you want to export.

Select the Output format you want export to.

Select the export options you want to use.

Click OK. The Export To dialog box opens.

Locate the folder where you want to save the file, type a name for the file, then click OK. A status window opens and shows the progress of the export.

When the export is finished, click OK.
----------------
I managed to follow the instructions with no problem - though
after that, I had problems and I had to have about 3 go's before I realised where I was going wrong. I had to click on the new folder where the new tree was. I managed it in the end and got my new tree up and running.

Hope you are able to manage it too Tina.