Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DON'T GET RIPPED OFF..............

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 11 Mar 2012 17:13

A BMD certificate is currently £9.25 from the GRO.

Don't go to any of the companies that offer to get them for you. They will charge you upto three times the GRO price.

An article from a Familytree mag has said that a company charged £74.99 for a for a cert that would have cost £23.40 from the GRO (that's for the priority service).

www.directgov.gov.uk/gro

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Mar 2012 17:24

How true. A young friend of mine age 14 saved her birthday money to buy a certificate that cost her £25 instead of the GRO price. I have since made it up to her by buying another cert for her as I didn't want here to be deterred from doing family history and also by explaining how to get certs from the GRO.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Mar 2012 17:30

Do not purchase from Ancestry

Standard delivery of up to 16 working days is £22.99
Express of 6 working days is £39.99

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 11 Mar 2012 17:32

If you happen to have a County Record Office nearby you can get a copy of the marriage from the Parish Register as it is the original copy. The copy from the GRO is a copy of the parish register. That will only cost you probably less than a £1.