Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth details before adoption..?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ThornlessRose

ThornlessRose Report 13 Mar 2012 11:23

Does anyone know if you can got to the place in London where bmd certs are held and be able to view someones original birth details before they were adopted..? Please

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 13 Mar 2012 11:30

Not sure about the details ? but You would be able to view the index,

but you can do that online

to view and actual cert i think you would have to buy the cert but bear in mind their is a 50 year rule on births so without accurate info you will not be able to buy the cert,

If the index shows the birth with a hand written note/ref this would indicate a adoption, then i think the only person who could buy the cert would be the adopted person

I am sure if i am wrong then some one will post to that affect

Roy

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Mar 2012 11:31

You can't find out unless you are the adopted person. They would need their adoption records, which they have a right to access.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Mar 2012 11:34

Look at this thread re. ordering recent birth certs.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1260269

ThornlessRose

ThornlessRose Report 13 Mar 2012 11:40

Thanks.. i did wonder as the law keeps changing.. if i was able to go there and see original birth cert on the person before they were adopted..

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Mar 2012 12:21

No one can view a certificate as the info is private.
If a birth is over 50 years old then you can order it but under 50 you would need the All the relevant info on the person ie full name parent names etc,

If a cert has a small s against the page nos then only a small cert would be issued anyway which doen,t show parents names.

A full cert can only be ordered with all the info and to the adopted person

Think this explains it :-

Find your original birth or adoption record

If you were adopted, at 18 you can apply for a certificate of your original birth registration form. Your birth relatives also have the right to apply for permission to contact you. Here's some information about how to research your biological family.
Finding your original birth details if you are adopted
If you were adopted through a court in England or Wales and are aged 18 years or over, you can apply for a certificate of your original birth entry and try to find information about your origins.
If you were born in England or Wales but adopted in Scotland, Northern Ireland or overseas, you need to contact the General Register Office for that country to access your own birth records.
General Register Office for ScotlandOpens new window
General Register Office for Northern IrelandOpens new window
How to apply
To obtain the relevant forms:
you can download the forms below in English or Welsh
or you can call the General Register Office on 0151 471 4830 to request the forms
Once you've completed your form, post it to: Adoptions section, Room C202, General Register Office, Trafalgar Rd, Southport PR8 2HH. Or you could fax it to: 0151 471 4755.
What happens next depends whether you were adopted before or after 1975.
If you were adopted before 1975, you will need to attend a meeting with an adoption advisor. If you were adopted after 1975, you may request a meeting or receive the information directly. Where applicable, an adoption advisor from your chosen organisation will contact you to arrange an interview.
You also have the option of approaching an approved intermediary agency about access to birth records to help make contact with a birth relative.
Download 'Access to birth records application form - England and Wales' (PDF, 41K)
Download 'Access to birth records application form - overseas' (PDF, 33K)
Help with PDF files

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Mar 2012 14:28

If you know the birth name, you can find the record of the birth on the index.

If you don't know it, and you are not the adoptee, you can't access any records.

Denise

Denise Report 13 Mar 2012 17:17

My mother was adopted and I am trying to trace her family. I have ordered her birth certificate and her sister's (who was also adopted) on the right hand end of the copies a line is drawn and 'adopted' written plus a date and signature.
Hope that is helpful.
:-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Mar 2012 17:23

Would it be right to assume your mother and her sister have passed away Denise?
Jan

ThornlessRose

ThornlessRose Report 14 Mar 2012 09:36

Yes ive now found out that i would be unable to view or get a copy as it was before 1975..
But i have found out that the law has changed and if you are the mother / father / family member ,looking for a child that was adopted you are now able to get help to try and make contact
If you know the area they were adopted you can contact the social services adoption team and you can leave details or a letter and they will make the contact and forward the details onto the adopted person, letting them know you are wanting contact with them..
Good news for some..

nerverforget

nerverforget Report 15 Mar 2012 19:05

Sorry to be negative ThomlessRose, but in my experience not all SS will help you with your search or make contact with your adopted person.They will only keep your details or a letter for you in your adopted persons file in the hope that one day they will ask for it.

ThornlessRose

ThornlessRose Report 22 Mar 2012 21:28

Reply to neverforget..
The law changed not long ago, and now the mother, father or family of the adopted child can now ask for help in making contact with that person..They will make contact on your behalf but its down to the adopted child whether they return contact but you now can get help in contacting them and not just by leaving something in the file should the adopted person inquire as to their background.. if you are not getting this help i suggest you put in a complaint.. i found this info out a few wks ago..

Linda

Linda Report 23 Mar 2012 18:09

I have found some some people in Liverpool who are helping me find my brother. they are called the After Adoption Team, and have been doing a good job looking for him. Linda :-)

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 23 Mar 2012 23:37

my grandad was adopted before the legal adoption rules applied 1927?
he was adopted in 1915-16, his mother reg him.but thats were her story stopped(we know what happened to him,and who adopted him)but because it was not a normal adoption and more off a giving away,no records are available.her story ends here,ive had lots of lines of enquiry but nothing comes to fruitation :-)
wish you luck in your search :-)

Penny

Penny Report 24 Mar 2012 06:37

Anyone can apply for any birth cert, given they have the right info.
If you have someones name , and ref for their birth, you can apply for it.

Of course, you need to know their birth name- if you only know their post adoption name, I wondon why you'd need or want it anyway.

if you know their pre aoption name, presumably you know who their mother is anyway!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Mar 2012 15:45

My mother was adopted back in 1935 when she was 14 but the couple had had her since she was a baby of 3 months old.

When she died in 1987 her Maiden/birth name had to be put on the death cert (top left hand corner there is a space for Maiden name.)).

So anyone who's mother was adopted please look at the space on the death cert for maiden name..just in case the person who registered the death knew the maiden/birth name.
I bought her birth cert through the GRO in Stockport..

Sue

Sandy1944

Sandy1944 Report 25 Mar 2012 17:40

I am an adopted child. I was the oldest of nine and seven of us were adopted before 1975. I have obtained the birth certificates of all my siblings including the adopted siblings even though I did not have their full details. I was the last one adopted aged twelve so I knew some of their details from memory. However we never all lived together as a family so what I did know was very limited, but I did not have any problems accessing my siblings birth records and I have certified copies of their birth certificates. There is a column where they are crossed through if you have been adopted and on two of them it actually says 'child has been adopted'.

At first I was informed that I had to be interviewed before they could give me my own details. I countered with that would be a waste of time as I knew my birth details, as I had my original certificate, which my birth mother gave me when she said I was being put up for adoption. Plus I kept in touch with my birth grandparents after I was adopted so I had a fair bit of family knowledge that I wanted to be put on my siblings files in case they became curious about their origins. This was arranged through Kent CC and Dorset CC and the Children's Society plus I went on the adoption contact lists.

But, my point is don't be put off by the attitude of some of the officials of the various societies, and social services, stand your ground. I did, and my persistence has paid off I have found three sisters but no brothers yet. And, as we are now elderly maybe I won't find them but that is a sad fact that I am now resigned to, but I am still trying.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Mar 2012 19:07

Sandy1944,

I know smeone else that was adopted and she persevered with all the details of her adoption and her birth mother's details.

Don't give up Sandy as they may turn up if they have put themselves on the Adoption Register..

She had to got through After Adoption Team ih Ireland but the adoption took place in London...

Sue

ThornlessRose

ThornlessRose Report 27 Mar 2012 17:36

Sandy 1944.

Both me & my Brother were adopted in 1972 i didnt find out till i was 12yrs old when i reached 20 i found that the law had changed & if i went a few sessions with social worker i could apply for my real birth cert and not the adopted one.. ive no name as father on mine but my Brother does he didnt find out till he was 18yrs old and is not intrested but i wondered if i could get to look at his real birth cert as he has a named Father and being we are a year apart his named father may be able to help me .. but im told im unable to get his real birth cert. is this true..? please

Grocott

Grocott Report 10 Apr 2012 07:39

how do we add an adopted child to gens if we no the odopted parents and the mother of the child
cheers