Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Best subscription?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Mar 2012 11:26

Hello all,
I have asked for a Mothers day present of a subscription to a Genealogy website.. (Aint i a lucky girl) ;o)

I had Ancestry a couple of years ago, but is that still the best one ? Or do you recommend another one >? I bet so much has changed since then...

I need something easy to use and access to parish records mainly to Herefordshire/Shropshire/Gloucestershire and Worcestershire..

Any ideas ?
Kind Regards
rachel :-D

Mark

Mark Report 13 Mar 2012 11:58

Hi

Alot of people put there tree on genesreunited but use ancestry for their birth,marriage,death indexes. WW1 Records, Probate Records (Wills)

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Mar 2012 12:11

Hi Mark,

I have my tree on here already, and regularly use the community boards whenever i need expert help.

My problem is i don't know whether to sign up again to Ancestry, or The Genealogist, or Find My Past or another one..
I'm just reading about them now.. It seems at the moment that 'The Genealogist' might be the best but i'm not sure..

I need guidance lol

:-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Mar 2012 12:13

I use Ancestry - have done so for 10 years

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Mar 2012 12:35

Thank you..

It's definitely between Ancestry and The Genealogist at the mo..

As i've used Ancestry before it might be better to stick with that.. Does it include the 1911 census now too? or is that extra.. :-)

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Mar 2012 12:47

I've chosen Ancestry..

Thank you all
Good Luck
Kind regards
Rachel :-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Mar 2012 13:53

1911 is on Ancestry - but not yet in its entirety

If you need 1911 lookups for counties not yet covered - ask for help, as a number of us have the 1911 on FMP

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 13 Mar 2012 14:22

Think PP's idea of a free trial is a good option ....Or why not look at the offers on Family Tree maker 2012 and get a free period of Ancestry as well.

Prices vary but there are some good offers out there.

with FTM you will be able to print out parts of your tree (perhaps as a thank you for your mothers day gift)

And yes you are a lucky girl :-D

Rachel

Rachel Report 15 Mar 2012 12:06

I certainly am a lucky girl ;o)

Thankyou for the advice ladies and gents, and thank you Reggie for the offer of lookups too..

I have a free 2 week trial on Ancestry at the mo, which proved a bit difficult as i was on there before. But i got round it and when its over i've got a years subs for 80 something quid instead of 107.00 which is a bonus...

Kind regards
rachel ;-)

Rachel

Rachel Report 15 Mar 2012 12:22

Sorry i forgot to say it was through the National Trust site which offers 25% off annual subscription for Ancestry.uk

:-)