Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer help please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wend

Wend Report 14 Mar 2012 07:18

Since my computer went to the doctors for a 'clean-up' (not the correct technical term I know!) I now have to sign in to my e-mail account and Genes each time I log on, even though I have ticked the box 'keep me signed in'.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Huia

Huia Report 14 Mar 2012 07:29

Have you tried putting the GR boards in your favourites when once you have signed in? I had the same problem and I found that I didnt need to keep signing in when I did that, just click on GR in the row of favourites and it takes me straight in.

Huia.

Wend

Wend Report 14 Mar 2012 08:10

Hi Huia - thanks for your reply. I do have them in my bookmarks/favourites and I have to sign in going this route. They used to be under the 'Most Visited' tab, top left, through which I could gain access without having to sign in. This now shows 'empty'.

Netty

Netty Report 14 Mar 2012 09:13

Hi, it could be that your computer has been set to "delete browsing history on exit"

Not sure which browser you are using, i am on IE8, if you click on
Tools - Internet options, you will see a box next to "Browsing History", mine is ticked, so browsing history, cookies, passwords etc, are deleted on exit.

I therefore have to sign in to Genes, Ancestry, email etc, everytime i turn on computer.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Mar 2012 09:54

Yes, I think Netty has it. You can customise what is deleted so for example I delete browsing History but not saved passwords.

In order to log in automatically to sites such as GR it is not enough just to tick the box on the GR screen, your browser has to remember your password as well.

If your computer is shared or public then you should always ensure everything is deleted for security purposes.

Wend

Wend Report 14 Mar 2012 12:56

Thanks Netty and IGP, I think my computer has been set to 'delete browsing history on exit'. My browser is Mozilla Firefox - I have clicked on Tools, but cannot find 'Internet Options - browsing history'. My computer is not shared.

Any further help please?

Netty

Netty Report 14 Mar 2012 15:15

Hi, hopefully, this will help, i don't have Firefox myself. Fingers crossed.

http://tinyurl.com/6ueku4a

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Mar 2012 15:17

For Firefox it is under Tools, Options. Within there, the save password option is under the Security Tab. Tick the box to remember. To set the other save history etc options go to the Privacy Tab.

Good luck.....!

Wend

Wend Report 14 Mar 2012 15:39

Thankyou again. The 'Remember passwords for sites' under Security is already ticked. I can't open the Privacy tab though (all the others open.) :-S

Netty

Netty Report 14 Mar 2012 19:45

Sorry it didn't work :-( Hopefully, someone that uses Firefox can offer more suggestions for you to try soon.

Wend

Wend Report 14 Mar 2012 20:04

Thanks for trying to help me, Netty. Much appreciated :-D

Wend

Wend Report 15 Mar 2012 07:30

Well, I've just tried again and, hey presto, the Privacy tab opened :-D

All sorted now - thanks again for your help.