Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old soldier

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dudley

Dudley Report 14 Mar 2012 14:30

Hi.
I am informed that on FMP the 'army service records 1760-1915' allow one to either view a transcription or the original images. Does anyone know how much actual info is given on the transcription as against the original. I suscribe to Ancestry which do not have such records.

Many thanks
Dud.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Mar 2012 15:38

The transcript goves you this

Last name:
Calculated year of birth:
Parish of birth:
Town of birth:
County of birth:
Age at attestation:
Attestation date:
Attestation corps:
Attestation soldier number:
The National Archives reference:

the original for same record is 10 pages

Jan

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 14 Mar 2012 17:38

Dud - tell us who it is and we'll take a look.

Dudley

Dudley Report 14 Mar 2012 19:52

Hi.
Thanks for your replies. I
The person I am seaching for I know is listed and that it is seven pages long. As I said I do not subscribe to FMP and need to buy credits but in my old age I am getting very tight and do not wish to waste credits on the original copies if half of it is blank continuation pages and it tells me know more than the transcription. (I'm not really that bad.)
The person in question is CHARLES WEEDON. b.1871 Walton on Thames.

Dud.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Mar 2012 20:48

says he was a butcher?
father Charles
Druids Cottage Walton on Tames had a younger brother Joseph and loads of sisters

Elizabeth Jane Rose Ada Kate Maggie Ethel and Norah

looks like married to Ellen?Mason............ Edit said person would be Charles Alderman Weedon who married Ellen Mason 1893 June quarter Farnham reg district (papers say Aldershot)

2(0) Hussars

is this the guy you want?

jan

Dudley

Dudley Report 14 Mar 2012 21:00

Hi Janet.

Yes thats the fellow. Are those the details from the transription page? Do you reckon it was having all those sisters that drove him into the army.?

Thanks Dud.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Mar 2012 21:01

I reckon , poor man !! No those details are from the images

I have sent you a personal message

Jan