Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM- should I up grade

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moira

Moira Report 14 Mar 2012 20:21

Hi All, Just getting back to my family history after a long break. I have been using FTM 2005 and wonder if I should up grade to a later version, and if so which one. Any advice welcome. Thanks..

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Mar 2012 06:47

FTM 2005 only had one further upgrade, to 2006, then it was discontinued.

It's replacement, FTM 2008, was an entirely new product, especially in terms of look and feel - it is more point and click than the earlier offering and has an entirely new suite of reports and charts. It has continued to be developed and upgraded with a new release each year, the current version being FTM 2012.

Don't be confused by the different options on offer, i.e. Upgrade, Deluxe, Platinum, World. These refer only to the Ancestry Subscription package that come bundled with the software, which is exactly the same, whichever package you go for.

The basic upgrade package costs around £20 and cones with one months Ancestry sub. It has built in conversion software which will automatically convert your FTM2005 format.

If cost is an issue then earlier versions are still available, e;g I have seen FTM 2010 for £7.95.

Moira

Moira Report 15 Mar 2012 15:02

Thank you InspectorGreenPea. I didn't realise 2005 had actually been discontinued, but the up grade sounds good.