Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unusual marriage detail.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 15 Mar 2012 12:35

In a 1906 Liverpool marriage certificate, the Bride's father has this detail entered, "Alice Smith former G. Leadbetter."
The Bride's name is Alice Leadbetter. It doesnt make any sense to me. Can any one offer any suggestions?

jansmith

jansmith Report 15 Mar 2012 12:55

who did she marry to look at her details in 1911.Does it give her age
if you are trying to find her in 1901 etc who was her father What is her fathers name please?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Mar 2012 12:58

So with no father listed its possible then she was illegitimate..

What was her age and marital status on this marriage

Have you found her on previous census

Alan

Alan Report 15 Mar 2012 13:49

Shirley & Jan; I'm transcribing this for LanOPC so the Genealogy isnt the issue......just the unusual entry but I didnt think about illegitimacy....Cheers.

jax

jax Report 15 Mar 2012 15:26

Name: Alice Leadbetter
Birth Year: abt 1882
Marriage Date: 26 Dec 1906
Parish: Liverpool St Jude
Spouse's Name: William Thomas
Father's Name: Alice Smith Jonnes G Leadbetter
Spouse Father's Name: Henry Thomas

looks like formally not Jonnes

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Mar 2012 20:14

So I guess that's the mother's name then? Alice Smith formerly Leadbetter??

Maybe:
Marriages Dec 1891
Leadbetter Alice W. Derby 8b 965
Smith William W. Derby 8b 965

Maureen

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 15 Mar 2012 20:41

ALLAN
maybe it says father G Leadbetter and not former? but why would mothers name be on the marriage cert?

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Mar 2012 20:46

Hi Suzanne,

The marriage image can be seen on Ancestry. It's quite clear. Under father's name it says Alice Smith formerly Leadbetter. Obviously to show that the daughter was illegitimate.(but now comes from a nice married household!!).

Somehow in transcription the "ly" in formerly has been turned into a "G".

Maureen

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 15 Mar 2012 20:53

oh thank you for explaining maureen,im not on Ancestry.it was just a thought really as ive come across some terrible writing while looking at certs.

sue

Alan

Alan Report 16 Mar 2012 19:38

A prime example of good or bad transcription. It's what the Transcriber thinks he sees within his experience of interpretting poor handwriting.