Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natasha

Natasha Report 17 Mar 2012 15:09

My friend who was adopted, aged 7, was trying to look up his birth details on the bmd using his birth name,but it doesnt come up on any of the search engines.

Does anyone know if they get blocked due to his adoption?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Mar 2012 15:23

Can you delete this one as you have a duplicate post on General Chat

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Mar 2012 10:17

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/general_chat/thread/1294915

Not replied to that thread

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 18 Mar 2012 11:00

I don't know whether or not BMD block the birth details of adoptees.

BUT I am an adoptee (1956) and can find my original birth record very easily on Ancestry but it is not on BMD and I have even typed the name in with no year and a different spelling, so I would think it is perfectly possible that this is the case.

I hope this will be of some help.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2012 11:57

No the name entry wont be blocked . depending on when the person was born some page nos will have a small s against the page nos indicating to the GRO that only a small cert is to be issued which doesn't show any parents names only the birth name and when & where born.

Maybe he isnt using the right entry ie maybe the surname he thought he was reg in isnt correct ie he could have been reg in mums name, not dads.

Depending on when his birth was maybe we can take a look for him. If its too recent then send a PM with ALL details and can take a look

jax

jax Report 18 Mar 2012 17:11

Lotsofmarmite

The reason your birth is not on Freebmd is probably because that area has not yet been added

My birth in the 50s has only just been added but friends who are older born in different areas are not there yet.

Also my parents marriage is not listed but they married before I was born in the same area

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2012 22:18

Records on freebmd are in the process of being transcribed by volunteers

If you look at their info page, you will see how far they have got.

There is no such thing as 'blocking' - records are transcribed exactly as per the original index.