Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glen Rosa, Foots Cray/Sidcup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 18 Mar 2012 10:45

Has anyone else come up with this location? My great-grandmother was born there (1909) and I'm trying to work out if it was a unwed mothers home or a family residence. The house search on 1911census isn't coming up with anything yet the road (Craybrooke Road is clearly named on the birth certificate, which is a bit odd.

Edit: Just got 3 results. It's listed as Kent, Foot Cray, with Craybrook and Crayboork being two variations.

tempest

tempest Report 18 Mar 2012 11:41

Glen Rosa is listed as a private house and is uninhabited on 1911 census

either side of it's listing are numbers 3 (the Sheed family) and 5 (Miss Wright and her sister)

Basil

Basil Report 18 Mar 2012 11:43

Craybrook Road Kent is now the A229

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2012 11:50

Its still there ,my parents lived in Sidcup when i was born . It is in Kent but comes under the London borough of Bexley which is odd!!

Sidcup retains Kent as its county reference,

Foots Cray is a place in the London Borough of Bexley, near the town of Sidcup, in southeast London, England, United Kingdom.
It took its name from Godwin Fot, a local Saxon landowner recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, and from the River Cray that passes through the village. It lay on the old Maidstone Road (now bypassed by the A20 road) leading from London to north Kent. Until the 20th century, Foots Cray dominated the nearby, less ancient hill-top hamlet of Sidcup. The combined area was designated as the Urban District of Foots Cray in 1902. Soon, however, the two settlements' fortunes were reversed, as Foots Cray's traditional industries declined after the First World War, and Sidcup grew rapidly as a commuter town after a railway was built linking it to central London. In 1921 this change was reflected in the renaming of Foots Cray Urban District to Sidcup Urban District. In 1965 both areas became part of the London Borough of Bexley

tempest

tempest Report 18 Mar 2012 12:01

if it is number 4, here it is in 1901

Address: 4, Craybrook Road, Foots Cray

BROWN, Frances B Wife Married F 36 1865 Own Means Scotland
BROWN, Marjori Daughter Single F 4 1897 Transvaal S A
MILNE, Jessie Visitor Single F 65 1836
HOAR, Florence Servant Single F 22 1879 Domstc Crockenhill Kent

Samantha

Samantha Report 19 Mar 2012 14:42

Shame the roads had new houses built and they've all been re-numbered! I did find that the house was still Glen Rosa in the 40s. Shall have to find an old map :)