Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to send report from Family Tree Maker 10

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Mar 2012 21:57

Hi,
I'm trying to send someone a report from my family tree maker version 10.
What is the best way to send it?
There are several options and I haven't a clue about any of them.
They are
PDF
CSV
RTF
Or send as image.

Can anyone advise me please?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Mar 2012 22:37

They cant open anything unless they have FTM on their PC I think .

What i do is to create a Genealogy report and the scan it and the send the scanned image as an attachment to an email

Or I ask for the recipients address and send a printed copy by snail mail

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Mar 2012 22:39

Thanks Shirley - I'll do as you suggest and I'll scan it and send the attachment.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Mar 2012 07:22

That's not quite correct. the recipient does not need FTM to be able read a report, nor do you need to go to the bother of scanning anything. Just create and save your report then send it as an attachment.

If you are creating a chart then you use the pdf option. This will open in Adobe Acrobat which most people will have on their pc.

If you are creating a text report, such as a genealogy report then use the rtf format. Rtf stands for rich text format and can be opened using any word processor or text file editor, so again most people will have this on their pc. If not there are plenty of free versions they could download.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Mar 2012 07:30

What you can do is....

1. Create the report you want.
2. Right click on the report.
3. Click on 'Export to PDF'
4. Next box is 'PDF Export Options' and just click on 'Save'
5. Next box is 'Save as' here you change the destination to documents or wherever you want to save it. Give the document a name that you can find later, I usually name it as something like 'Smith report for Jenny'. Then save.
6. This can then be attached to an e.mail.

Works for me
:-D

Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Mar 2012 07:34

IGP

I have never thought of using RTF, thanks for that.
I suppose that will be useful if I need to amend something before sending.

Chris

Jan.

Jan. Report 21 Mar 2012 08:58

Thanks very much InspectorGreenPen and Chris.
I hadn't got round to doing anything about it last night, as it was late. I'll be creating a text report, so I'll follow your instructions and use the rtf format.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2012 10:31

Thats Interesting IGP.I seem to have been doing it the long winded way .although it has come in handy having it scanned in when needing it to send by mail cos the recipient doesn't have a PC.

Will try it your way the next time someone contacts me with a match