Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage certificate query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Danny

Danny Report 26 Mar 2012 06:24

Was it a requirement that if the father of the bride or groom was deceased, that under his name on the marriage certificate it would state

Father's Name
(deceased)

I've encountered this in a few certificates, but wondering if it was essential, or if it were only written if the bride/groom actually mentioned that their father was deceased?

Penny

Penny Report 26 Mar 2012 06:50

It seems to depends on how the Q was asked or answered.

What is your fathers name? JOHN

What is your fathers name? John, but he died some years ago

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Mar 2012 07:27

I agree with Penny..

I have siblings who marry at various times who are witnesses to each other and their father had died when they were young. Some stated their father was deceased and some didn't.

Chris

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Mar 2012 08:48

It has never actually been a requirement of law to name your father at all when getting married. Indeed even today it is not.

Even if a father was named, deceased or otherwise it was not guaranteed that the information was accurate. Often those who had been born out of wedlock offered a false fathers name to avoid embarrassment. Stating also that he was "Deceased" would no doubt have lessened the risk of the truth being discovered.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Mar 2012 12:12

I have a g/g/grandfather whose 2nd marriage caused a rift in the family

So on some of his childrens marriages post his 2nd marriage have stated that he was deceased when he was alive and well. Others with no name in the fathers column, they would rather have been considered illegitimate than name him!!!

As said before unless asked many just did not offer any information. So if when the register was being completed they were asked fathers name and they gave it, unless asked if he was still living they may not have offered that information. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2012 16:12

The info on a cert is dependent on several factors

The way the question about the father is posed.

Whether or not the father was known

And the truthfulness, or otherwise, of the people getting married.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 26 Mar 2012 18:48

On one of my certificates, where the fathers name should be just the word deceased is written. Fortunately through census records I've been able to identify their parents and both fathers were dead at the time the couple married.

Chris