Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help! Trying to trace a relative without name/DOB

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennie

Jennie Report 29 Mar 2012 20:34

I am trying to track down details of a half sister to my mother.
Unfortunately I don't have many details, The mother (my grandmother who is deceased) gave birth during the second world war after getting pregnant by a POW. She was married at the time and had to give baby up. I have no date of birth or a name.
What's the best way of trying to trace this relative? Any ideas?
Many thanks

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Mar 2012 20:36

Well, the baby would have the same surname as your mother presumably. And you have a rough time and I guess a birthplace.
Have you checked Freebmd for possible births? You can try by using just your grandmother's maiden name and no surname if you wish.
Jan

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Mar 2012 20:46

Was this in England?
Do you know where your grandmother was living, at the time ? ( although it is quite possible that she went away from her home area to have the baby.)
Generally a child would be registered in a mother's then surname, ie. her married name, but maiden name should stay the same for all her child.

Are there rough dates of children born before and after this child which will give a guide to dates?

Gwyn

Jennie

Jennie Report 29 Mar 2012 21:21

Thanks for your replies, I think I may have found the persons record!
I am curious as to whether this relative is actually alive (my mother has never met her as she was born a few years later). How do you go about tracking down adopted relatives?

Pam

Pam Report 29 Mar 2012 21:23

The first thing you could do is to put the name in Search Trees at the top of the page. If she knows her birth name she may well have entered it.

Jennie

Jennie Report 29 Mar 2012 21:55

Sadly no matches in any trees.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 29 Mar 2012 22:13

Have you tried searching trees on Ancestry.

Chris

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Mar 2012 22:17

You could apply for a copy of the birth certificate to make sure it is the correct family, then you will have a date of birth to work from and the far right hand column will tell you if the child was adopted.

I don't know enough to advise further, but believe that birth family can leave a note in the child's notes, so that the adoptee can contact if they ever go searching.

Gwyn

Jennie

Jennie Report 30 Mar 2012 06:42

Thanks for your help guys.
No matches on Ancestry trees.
I have ordered a copy of birth certificate so will take it from there when it arrives :)