Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family tree on disc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bighen

bighen Report 29 Mar 2012 21:43

Does anyone know if you can put a family tree on a disc to save it, rather than get it done by the official people.

I have loads of different tree's that i have done for friends on Ancestry but don't want to delete any.

Thanks Pam

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Mar 2012 07:40

Just save it as a gedcom file and copy it to disc, or whatever media you choose. It can then be opened at a future date using a family tree program, or transferred back to a genealogy website.

Actual procedure will depend on where the tree data is currently held. Are you saying your trees are on Ancestry, or are they held somewhere else?

bighen

bighen Report 30 Mar 2012 13:34

Thanks for the reply,
They are on Ancestry.Unfortunatly im not great with computers so would have to ask one of mine to do whatever you have to do .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Mar 2012 08:41

click on the tree's name.

Then 'Manage Tree'

On the right is a green button with a downward arrow saying 'Export Tree'

The Response is 'download your gedcom file'

(Have a look at the 'download tips' for the next step)
Another box will open on your screen

If you have a FH prog installed on your computer, it will ask if you want to open the ged file. The other option is to click 'save file'

You will probably have to select where you want to save it - you're on your own at this point!

Once you have saved to your computer, you can burn/drag it to a disc.

Kense

Kense Report 1 Apr 2012 12:10

Do be aware that the GEDCOM files only contain text and not photos and census records etc.

bighen

bighen Report 1 Apr 2012 13:33

Thank you for your help,i will give it a go .