Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DAY IN THE WORKHOUSE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 Apr 2012 08:20

DAILY ROUTINE IN THE WORKHOUSE 1835
...................MARCH TO SEPT.....SEPT TO MARCH
RISING...........6am........................7am
BREAKFAST..6;30-7am................7;30-8am
WORK............7am.........................8;am
DINNER.........12-1pm....................12-1pm
FINISH............6pm.........................6pm
SUPPER.........6-7pm......................6-7pm
BED................8pm..........................8pm

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 2 Apr 2012 08:59

Blimey Dizzi the first six I used to do but bed by 8 a no no. But I suppose nothing else to do

Carol

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Apr 2012 09:06

No commuting, only a 9 hour working day in the winter, at least 10 hours in bed a night and 3 free meals a day. Sounds like a pretty easy life compared to some at the time and some even today.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 Apr 2012 09:59

MY OH GETS UP AT 4.;30..............LEAVES HOME 5;30
AT 6AM STARTS A 12 HOUR SHIFT WITH HALF HOUR LUNCH
FINISH WORK AT 6 ,,DINNER 7;30.BED AT 9;30

Sally

Sally Report 2 Apr 2012 14:50

i am shocked at your answeres

workkouses were a terrible life my nan was in one

she was terrifyd of our local hospital as it had once been a workhouse

she was there from when she was born untillshe was a young girl

i was 10 when she died and did not know about her being in a workhouse untill i joined gr but remember her fear of the hospital and now i know why

sally w

jax

jax Report 2 Apr 2012 16:50

Yes workhouses were not the best of places to live, but some children may have had a worse time being at home with their parents and 10 siblings squashed in a 2 or 3 bed house (if that) with little food.

We cant change the past it happened

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 2 Apr 2012 17:18

My g/g grandmother had twins in the workhouse and my g/grandfather died in one, am fully aware what terrible places they were, but as Jax says we can't change the past. I cannot see what was so shocking about the three replies :-S

Carol

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 Apr 2012 18:21

I'M SORRY IF IT SHOCKED YOU WITH MY REPLY BUT AT LEAST NOMATTER HOW BAD THEY WERE PEOPLE HAD A ROOF OVER THEIR HEAD AND MEALS,WITHOUT WORKHOUSES THE CHANCES ARE THEY WOULD HAVE DIED ON THE STREET.

AND AS JAX SAID
WE CANNOT CHANGE THE PAST
THAT IS HISTORY

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Apr 2012 18:28

There is no denying that workhouses were not pleasant places however it is important to recognise why that was so. The prime purpose of a workhouse was to provide a last resort shelter for people who, perhaps through no fault of their own, were destitute. The fact that the innocent children of those who ended up in the workhouse also ended up there is regrettable but at the time there were very few other options available. I suppose the only real alternative would have been to let the unfortunates die in the street.

Often the workhouse infirmary was the only medical facility available to the ordinary citizen, particularly the aged, the infirm and women about to give birth. It was very common for the workhouse infirmary to go on to become the first public hospital in an area.

The workhouse conditions and regime were as they were because that way there was little danger of workhouse life being seen as a soft option to trying to be productive and pay your own way in life. Being truthful I feel that there would most likely be fewer people content to live on state handouts today were similar principles applied.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 Apr 2012 18:48

NOT A LOT OF HISTORY IS PLESANT BUT THAT IS HOW WE LEARN BY PAST EFFORTS AND MISTAKES

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 2 Apr 2012 18:59

Well said Jonesey, so true Dizzi.

Carol

Sally

Sally Report 7 Apr 2012 15:52

i am sorry for the late reply but i had a fall

i know what you mean my gt gran was liveing in a field in shed with 3 older children before the workhouse but your answeres seemed abit fluffy

and yes i know about over crowding my mum was 1 of 13 children liveing in two up and two down railway cottage

thanks for te discushon
sally w

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 7 Apr 2012 16:09

Sally,

Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope that you are now fully recovered.

Sally

Sally Report 7 Apr 2012 19:10

thankyou jonesey i am getting there :-D

sally w