Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mistranscriptions N.E Leicester Workhouse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Apr 2012 15:40

On A***try.
Workhouse master & family mistranscribed as Souell instead of Lovell & all the workers listed as Souell even there are no dittos to indicate they have the same surname. Around a dozen people in all.
So if anyone is searching for ancestors in Leicestershire, try there under the surname Souell.

Gee

Gee Report 3 Apr 2012 16:42

You can add a correction to the transcription, that would help future researchers

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Apr 2012 07:07

Yes Gins. I have submitted a correction for the Lovell family, but there are too many others to correct them all. I would be there all day.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Apr 2012 09:26

Do you mean ANCESTRY?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2012 10:03

Probably ;-)

There were a spate of RR's a while ago, presumably by someone who didn't like other subscriptions sites being mentioned on this one especially when the same records (different transcriptions) are available on GR. Consequently, some posters try to use an acronym while refering to other sub sites

Gee

Gee Report 4 Apr 2012 10:04

It gives you an option to correct all the family surname at the same time

Potty

Potty Report 4 Apr 2012 13:06

On a similar vein, I have just found the entries for the RA barracks at Woolwich in the 1901, and all the soldiers appear on the images as "Son" with the occasional corporal, etc shown as "Head". The "Sons" have all been transcribed as the sons of the last "Head" in the relationship column.

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Apr 2012 13:36

Yes Gins.
I have submitted an amendment for the family members. All the others are servants & in no way related to either the family or each other. They would have to be amended individually & there are too many of them.
Potty.
I found a similar situation with an army barracks in 1871. I reported it to An****ry who have completely ignored it. Again there were just too many to go through & amend them individually.
I know I´m retired, but I do have other calls on my time. LOL.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Apr 2012 15:50

I have a similar situation with my great grandfather's family who lived next door to a pub. On the census it has the name of the road at the top of the column, then the pub, with two occupants, the publican and his wife, then everybody else in the road apparantly also living in the pub!!

This has happened because the houses didn't have separate names/numbers and the transcriber was a little bit short of common sense.
(On the actual census form it has "Head" every so often, indicating a new family with new relationships to each other).