Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SPINSTER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wozcav

wozcav Report 6 Apr 2012 16:14

Assume this title on M/Cert. to be unmarried so, if a married woman divorces and then re-marries does she appear on her new M/Cert. as Spinster or past Former married name please? Thanks!

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 6 Apr 2012 16:18

Normally the woman would remarry under her formerly married name but there are always exceptions. My S-i-l remarried under her maiden name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Apr 2012 16:20

Any scenario is possible, but I would not normally expect to see her as Spinster if she remarried.

Much might depend on when this was, ..and where.
I have divorced ladies marrying in their 1st married name, but I also have at least one who chose to use her birth surname when she remarried after a divorce.

Gwyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Apr 2012 16:22

It really depends on how she liked to describe herself.

In theory she would marry in her current name with her marital status shown as divorced ,But if she thought of her self as single, now she was divorced, she could well describe herself as such.

I have seen both on marriage certs

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 6 Apr 2012 16:38

I've got several marriage certificates where the bride has been described as a spinster but I've got their previous marriage certificates proving that they weren't. They had all married in their current name but with their fathers surname confirmed their maiden name.

Chris

wozcav

wozcav Report 6 Apr 2012 16:40

Hi All and thanks your help here! Though understood it creates havoc with my calculations as a M/Cert. recently stated such and definitley is my target though her age was a surprise re. age-difference encountered. I can't believe she could get away with that too?

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 6 Apr 2012 17:08

I think we've all had a few surprises along the way.

My mums great aunt emigrated to America in 1911 and on her naturalisation papers stated her year of birth was 1890 when in actual fact it was 10 years earlier. She also stated she was a widow but she left her husband over here.

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Apr 2012 10:56

I have one in my family tree who re-married following her divorce using her maiden name, but the cert states 'previous marriage dissolved'.

The name a lady uses when re-marrying is a totally separate issue to that of her declared marital status

wozcav

wozcav Report 7 Apr 2012 17:20

Thanks All, your help and time appreciated, what a devious lot we are to be sure as I read your thoughts on posed question! Still. I'll pencil in and hope one day I or mine will uncover the truth in this as it is only an aside in my searches for now! I never was too good at Maths but working these things out makes me an abject failure, no wonder I was beaten daily by the Sisters of Little Mercy in that subject!

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 8 Apr 2012 05:51

HIya wozcav,
As people have said it depends on alot of things.....timeframe etc.

I was married twice and never changed my surname to either of my husbands names...so I still have the surname I was born with and always have had...
I did divorce my 1st husband and remarried using my maiden name....as I never changed my surname..

I am still known by my maiden name...
Just because a woman marries does not mean they have to use the husbands surname..or have to keep it after a divorce...

Kellie

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 8 Apr 2012 07:43

Many years ago one of my secretaries insisted that her boyfriend changed his surname to her surname before she would agree to marry him. He did just that by deed poll. I lost track of them after their marriage so I do not know whether or not they had any children.

In years to come that should pose a conundrum for anyone unfamiliar with the story trying to trace him if all they have to go on is the marriage certificate or the birth records of any children they may have had.

patchem

patchem Report 8 Apr 2012 08:52

Jonesey,
What was his surname, anything like Jones, Smith or Brown, or something that could be distorted into a rude name, or just too difficult to spell?

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 8 Apr 2012 09:28

Hi Patch,

It was Jelley and she did not wish to go through life known as Mrs Jelley. ;-)

The only problem with having the surname Jones is having to struggle to keep ahead of the rest who are always trying to keep up with you. ;-)

patchem

patchem Report 8 Apr 2012 10:27

Thank-you.

She had a choice of calling her daughters Ellie, Kellie or Nellie.

wozcav

wozcav Report 20 Apr 2012 12:40

Thanks again all! Development in this Search confirms all your steers given are founded in truth as, the Lady in question has throughout her Registrations of Children, chosen to state their origins in use of several name variants for Mother and indeed surprisingly, at least one Child(3rd in Marriage) as Surnamed of previous Union, how odd is that? Oh, and I noted the age-discrepancy had yet again reared its head! Look for the unexpected I hear you cry! Grateful