Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't understand

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 Apr 2012 19:16

Can't read/ understand the occupation - 1841 census Mary Clark b1808 Halifax. They are based in Union Street, does this mean that they lived on the premises ? What do the initials mean in occupation ? Thanks

Choccy

Choccy Report 7 Apr 2012 19:23

GREENWOOD, Benjamin M 25 1816 Yorkshire (Surgeon)
CHARLESWORTH, John M 13 1828 Yorkshire (Male Servant)
CLARK, Mary F 33 1808 Yorkshire (Female Servant)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piece:
1300 Book/Folio:
11/8 Page:
9 Registration District:
Halifax

Civil Parish:
Halifax Municipal Borough:
Halifax Address:
Union Street, Halifax County:
Yorkshire

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 7 Apr 2012 20:54

To be a doctor, let alone a surgeon at that time, one would have to be of significantly higher class than the average you or me. Chances are his 'staff' would have lived on the premises. John Charlesworth would likely have filled the role of Butler/Valet and maybe even coachman and Mary likely kitchen maid/general h/h duties. She may even have been a cook but likely someone else filled that duty and either didn't reside or was away.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 7 Apr 2012 21:18

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/g.html#999gr

Just found this site which I think is fascinating. It kind of shows (if you scroll down far enough) that there were Greenwood families with money and connections.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 Apr 2012 22:33

Thanks guys. Big help. There were quite a few Greenwoods in Halifax at the time - but we do have a later Greenwood/ Clark link. Maybe it started here ? Thanks for the tip Jillian.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Apr 2012 22:45

I don't think surgeons were as 'high up' as physicians back then. Might be worth a look:

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~jonsmith/19cmed.html

Jan

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 7 Apr 2012 23:10

YIKES!!!!

Just read that Jan. Scary! I always hope to learn something new every day and this definitely does this for me. :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

Thanks for the pm Jacqui; you are very welcome. Maybe the Royal College of Surgeons have more about him.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Apr 2012 03:47

a surgeon was often a barber-surgeon back in those early days :-D

ie, a barber who had training in cutting. For hundreds of years, it was beneath the dignity of a physician to perform any kind of surgery.

the census did ask for who was on the premises OVERNIGHT ............. so anyone listed would have been sleeping on the premises

(except of course in the case of a night worker :-) )

sylvia