Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inquests

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MeJoy75

MeJoy75 Report 10 Apr 2012 12:45

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if and where, you might be able to get copies of Inquests that were done in Durham around the mid to late 1880's?

Joy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Apr 2012 13:47

I have never been able to get inquest records. Was told at Kew they werent kept on a regular basis.

You cou;d try the local newspapers for inquest reports, but these would only be in circumstances that were worth reporting

wisechild

wisechild Report 10 Apr 2012 14:04

Some archives have limited runs of inquests. Some don´t. Luck of the draw I´m afraid. Birmingham have lots, for example but they are not indexed apart from being in year order & if they exist you would have to search them yourself.
Best bet would be to contact the archives nearest to the place where the inquest was heard & ask if they hold reports for the year you want.
If they do & if you are allowed to look at them, be prepared to go personally & spend a whole day searching unless you are very lucky & find the one you want quickly.

MeJoy75

MeJoy75 Report 10 Apr 2012 14:15

Thanks Shirley & wisechild for your replies, I think I will forget about them. Don't think it is worth a trip from downunder, at the present time!!!

Joy

Joy

Joy Report 10 Apr 2012 15:56

Joy, do, please, contact the appropriate records office by email just in case the inquest reports have survived; I have been fortunate to have some from that era.

MeJoy75

MeJoy75 Report 10 Apr 2012 23:35

Hi Joy, will send email, and wait & see what happens,

Thanks, Joy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 11 Apr 2012 13:11

By law coroners do not have to keep copies of their old records for longer than around 10 years.

I know that in Bristol one coroner decided that as no one had had a good clear out in years he threw out ALL the old records. This was a long time ago, but most annoying.

Many now keep their records online and on keep paper copies of the most 'interesting' cases for reference purposes.

Your best bet will be a local newspaper. If you know the date of death, most inquests were held within days of the death. Rarely more than a fortnight. :-)