Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Late baptisms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terry

Terry Report 15 Apr 2012 11:45

Hi, I`ve an ancestor,Jeremiah Garrard born 1778 at Barham,Suffolk. How likely is it that the only baptism I can find, a Jeremiah Garrood on 28th Nov 1784 is him? Thanks for any advice.
Terry Baldwin

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Apr 2012 12:29

Were there siblings baptised at the same time? Some families did them in 'batches' so you will find older children baptised with a baby sibling.

There was a duty payable on baptisms of 3d from 1783 to 1794 so either the family could afford to pay for the late baptism or they were paupers and therefore were exempt from paying. The register will show which applied.

However there were some kind encumbants who had a great many 'paupers' in their parish ;-)

Chris

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Apr 2012 13:05

How many Jeremiahs are there?

Jeremiah Garrod
Birth: abt 1783 - Barham, Suffolk, England
Residence: 1851 - Needham, Barking, Suffolk, England
or
Jeremiah Garrad
[Jeremiah Garrard]
Spouse: Elizabeth Garrad
Birth: abt 1778 - Barham, Suffolk, England
Residence: 1851 - Colchester, Colchester St Peter, Essex, England

Terry

Terry Report 16 Apr 2012 18:11

Hi Thelma,my Jeremiah is the one who moves to Colchester. I also don`t know if he had any siblings.
Terry

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 Apr 2012 09:35

IT WAS QUITE COMMON TO WAIT AND DO
ALL CHILDREN AT THE SAME TIME,IN MY
LOT ONE FAMILY DID SIX SPANNING 12 YRS
AT THE SAME TIME