Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BMD Records on GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 15 Apr 2012 14:39

I've found a death record for 1966 on GR that I'm interested in and before I pay for credits to view it, can someone please tell me what sort of info I will get.

Thank you

Kath

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Apr 2012 14:42

You will just get name, place and reference numbers. You need to get cert to see what it says.
Don't pay anything to Genes - certs can be ordered online from GRO and cost £9.25.
If you cannot see details as given above I - or someone else - can access these from Ancestry or FMP.
Jan

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Apr 2012 14:46

You will NOT be able to view the certificate, the only way to view the details is to buy the actual cetificate.

On a death certificate of that date, you will get:
the persons name
sex
maiden name if married (or known)
date and place of birth (if known)
Occupation and usual address
Name & Surname of informant (next to this is 'Qualification' which will tell you if the informants is a relative
Usual Address (of informant)
Cause of death

Details taken from Granddads death cert c.1969.

The records on GR and all others are just the reference number which you will use to order the certificate from the General Register Office.

Hope this helps :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Apr 2012 14:46

You cant view the cert but we can give you the GRO ref for you to order the cert from the GRO. Wont cost you!!!

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 15 Apr 2012 14:49

Thanks Brummiejan, I thought that's about all it would be, just wanted to make sure.

Kath

Thanks also to Pigletspal & Shirley for replying

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Apr 2012 18:08

You can view the BMD index pages for free on GR which will give you the ref to order a cert.

However you will need to check each page to see if it contains the one you want as it is only indexed by the first and last three letters of the names contained on it. It is the same facility that FMP offered some years ago but at a cost.

What the GR pay to see option gives I can not comment, nor can any others who have not subscribed to the service.

jax

jax Report 15 Apr 2012 18:33

The GR pay to see will be the same as what is found on FMP or Ancestry

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Apr 2012 18:35

I've got some free credits that I don't need (was given them for being a helper).

If you want to give the details I'll state what GR actually gives on the record.

jax

jax Report 15 Apr 2012 18:40

I thought the credits were for the site being down MC I've got some too keep forgetting I have them :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Apr 2012 18:59

Yes jax - that's what it was! (The other was an extension)

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 Apr 2012 04:58

My guess is what your credits will get is a transcription and image of the GRO index, but you can get these for free.

Go to http://freebmd.org.uk/ and try the search option.
It will probably fail for 1966, but if it doesn't, click on the spectacles besides your hit to view the image.

It really helps to know the quarter of 1966, so go to http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
We're going to do a free search so select search from the main banner bar, then BMDs incl parish from the drop-down list.
Just under the search box, you'll see:

Featured Titles in this Category:
England & Wales, BMD Index

so click on that, then pich the appropriate collection - deaths 1916-2005 here. Now do the search - hopefully the name + year + maybe county is unique enough to give a unique hit - since this is free, you won't get to see full details, but if you click on the shopping basket, you will get to see some details on the order form - usually they give the quarter, but not always. Back out of Ancestry (having them place the order for you more than doubles the cost to you).

Now back to FreeBMDs home page - take the "view images" link, and get the image - it's a klunky interface, but it's free - if you don't know the quarter, you'll have to try each in turn.

You get the same info on the GRO index for 1866q1-1969q1, e.g.:

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Deaths Dec 1946
Smith John 74 Gateshead 1a 777