Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for an address on Ancestry ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 26 Apr 2012 13:47

Hi

Is there a way of looking up an address on Ancestry to see who lived there ?

Many Thanks

Kim

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Apr 2012 13:51

Not sure about Ancestry, but you can search by address in the census on Findmypast. If you give the address I can look for you.

Kath. x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Apr 2012 13:52

You can quite easily in 1881 and 1911, but for other years it's a bit of a palaver!
Jan

Potty

Potty Report 26 Apr 2012 13:53

The 1881 and 1911 censuses are searchable by address and so are all the Scottish censuses. The others can be searched but it is a bit longwinded. I believe all censuses on FMP are searchable by address. Perhaps if you post the details somebody with a subscription will look for you.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Apr 2012 13:58

Just nudged up a thread by Jonesey about searching the census by address

kim

kim Report 26 Apr 2012 14:33

Hello Kath

Address on death cert is ....

13 Bishops Yard, Charles Street, Grovesnor Square

By the way year of death is 1849, so who was living there in 1841 census and the 1851 would be interesting.

Thanks for your help

Kim

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 26 Apr 2012 15:47

Hi Kim,

Whereabouts was the address, Town/Registration district.

Nothing coming up for me when checking Bishops Yards and have 111 results for Charles Street.

Chris

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Apr 2012 16:05

As Chris has already said - does the certificate give any registration district.. There are loads of Charles Streets in London.

If you are looking for a particular family can you give us the surname?

Kath. x

kim

kim Report 26 Apr 2012 16:16

Hi

Registration district on death cert is St Georges, Hanover Square.

The name is William Holloway and he was a coachman, but I have no idea who he worked for.

Any help appreciated

Kim

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 26 Apr 2012 16:29

???
1841 census transcription details for: Charles Street Malpas Arms Or Bishop's Arms Yard, St George Hanover Square, Westminster
RG number: HO107 Piece: 733 Book/Folio: 16/15 Page: 25

Reg. District: St George Hanover Square Sub District: Hanover Square
HOLLOWAY, William M 70 1771
HOLLOWAY, Fanny F 55 1786

Maureen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Apr 2012 16:38

There are plenty of properties coming up for Charles Street, St. George Hanover Square but unfortunately there is no Bishop's Yard mentioned on either the 1841 or 1851 census.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Apr 2012 16:46

I've just found the one that Maureen has given. Does his age fit with the death certificate you have?

Kath. x

kim

kim Report 26 Apr 2012 18:29

Sadly no, my William was 83 on the death cert, and his wife was Martha, much younger than him. In Warfield,Berkshire on the 1841 census.