Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found 118-year-old Birth Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueCar

SueCar Report 29 Apr 2012 00:21

Still got some of my Mum & Dad's stuff. Having another sort out yesterday and got out the little briefcase that had my Mum's brother's stuff in. Mostly old insurance policies but then I found something else . . .

a 1944 copy of my Grandma's birth 1891 certificate, the other daughter's one from 1925 and - wow - my Grandad's original one from 1894.

Just think of all the members of my family who have handled that bit of paper! <3

jax

jax Report 29 Apr 2012 01:15

My gran seemed to collect the family certs...I know death certs were needed to claim insurance policys, probably these 1d a week ones I know my parents still have a few of those including one on me :-D

I know my dad now has these and I have seen the original 1882 marriage cert for my gt grandparents, a little tatty now but looks identical to the cert shown on the London marriages on ancestry

Potty

Potty Report 29 Apr 2012 13:07

I have two certified copies of the same baptism, one dated 1883 (129 years old) and the other dated 1898 (114 years old). The baptism was in 1878.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Apr 2012 13:58

MY SIL has nana & grandads marriage cert of 1903 married in St Johns Roman Catholic Church Brentford Middlesex

Its in excellent condition and is Huge!! Seems bigger than my own cert of 1957

SueCar

SueCar Report 29 Apr 2012 19:44

Nice to hear from people on this.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 30 Apr 2012 09:25

The family has my maternal Grandmother's baptism certificate issued in 1889 at the Cairo Citadel, Egypt.

It is in very bad condition and at some time has been placed between sealed glass sheets to protect it. All well and good but has made it impossible to scan or photocopy :-(

I am not complaining (much) as there is no other birth registration for her....Just a shame that as it didn't give her mother's maiden name it took seven years to discover it :-D

Chris