Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 29 Apr 2012 16:50

Need all the help I can get and the following is a summary of some our responses to some of our family searches ( not all Genes).

1. Basic details correct but we do not have a William... only a Bill.......errh!
2. Right name. d.o.b. etc. but he was a Manager not a supervisor... (ego trip!)
3. One family consistently denied any link until accepting it but, .. see 4
4. There is only a slight link as we are only related by a very old marriage (less than 100 years) ..... and we thought that that was what geneaology was about.
5. Same family note: Our male married their female and his sister married her brother and there were several children, of which we have photos.
6. Reply...Yes we have all those children in our trees but do not want or need any photos of them ... sorry.
7. Yes, XXXXX did marry your sister and there were three children, two still alive, but that does not affect or tree.
8. We are not related, as my mother married my father...*********

Oh dear, is it worth carrying on... fortunately the responses from other worldwide sites is both helpful and very, very, positive.

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Apr 2012 16:55

You haven't given any info on the people you are seraching for....

Andy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Apr 2012 17:28

Andy, Suzanne doesn't want help - it's meant to be amusing.

Suzanne, we've had a few like that, as well!! But plenty of helpful ones, too.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 29 Apr 2012 18:13

many thanks for your encouragement.
seem to be difficult in OUR family circle to get beyond 100 years or so while worldwide links take us back to the 1500's in Europe and later Australia, Canada,NZ,Honolulu etc. etc. and only yesterday found a marriage between a NZ ancestor and an American lady, so all is not lost.
I suppose the thing I wanted to highlight is that other countries seem to want to share their information whilst so many of ours want to keep it 'private' which seem to contradict the whole point of the exercise.
Still want to pass on those photos to the family involved and will get there... eventually

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 29 Apr 2012 23:36

Suzanne,
I guess it all depends on why people are doing a tree and what they expect from it.
Alot of people assume that everyone is doing a tree for the same reasons they are and expect compliance...but it isn't always the case.

You may find 'other countries' more eager as most areas do NOT have access to information like the UK does.....alot of those in other countries may feel they need your connection to be able to continue...

Kellie