Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Zealand census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

heatherg

heatherg Report 30 Apr 2012 07:49

Can anyone tell me whether there are census records for New Zealand. I have the web site for the BMD records but I want to check for 2 families with similar names. Are certificates expensive to buy when you aren't living there?
I have 7 LITTLE children children of James and Grace but I'm not sure they're all the same family.
Thank you for any help
Heatherg

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 30 Apr 2012 07:58

Hi,
I don't think NZ has census (well nothing like the UK anyway)
The certs costs are listed
https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/PaymentsAndProducts/

Kellie

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Report 30 Apr 2012 08:03

No census returns have every been kept here in NZ they are destroyed after the information is collated. The Internal Affairs site "Get a Birth Certificate - dia.govt.nz" gives you all the information you will need.

Anne-Marie

heatherg

heatherg Report 30 Apr 2012 10:38

Thank you Anne-Marie and Kellie.
Now I have to decide if I'm going to invest in the certs at 20 dollars 40 each.
Heather

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 30 Apr 2012 22:38

Heather,
You might be lucky enough to find notices for them in newspapers or even find them living in the same areas (as adults) on Elect Rolls etc...

Depending on which years you are looking at,,,you may be in the right timeframe to just purchase the last childs cert,,,,which may name the other children born before...(but I think this is only for later births on NZ Certs...it might be worth checking it out)

Kellie

Persephone

Persephone Report 1 May 2012 01:23

Hi Kellie.. I am working on the Littles for Heather.

The wheels grind slowly on some of NZ research as it is all over the place.

I have stopped Heather from spending yet and found out with the names she gave me that she was looking for some that aren't hers and not looking for some that are.

I will work it through with her and hopefully get it all solved

Cheers Persie

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 1 May 2012 01:39

Hi Persie,
Thanks for letting me know...
I too was a bit worried about Heather being stuck paying for a heap of (possibley unrelated) certs.

Kellie

heatherg

heatherg Report 1 May 2012 20:37

Thank you Kellie
Persie is giving me a lot of help. 2 brothers William and James Little emigrated to NZ and both had large families. I just want to be sure I'm not making them bigger that they really were.
Heatherg