Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family members missing from tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BryanA

BryanA Report 2 May 2012 05:40

Hi,
I have been using this site about a week, I had added 29 family members.

Today I opened the site, the home page says 29 members, the list view has 29 members, but the tree itself says it has 23 members, and sure enough, six members are gone.

If I go to the "Old Tree", they are all there.

Three questions, 1) What is the old tree, 2) When/why does the current tree move to the old tree, 3) How do I get it back?

I noticed that someone else was complaining that all of their family members had gone from the tree, though they were all in the list.

Is this a frequent problem on this website?

Thanks..

Ivy

Ivy Report 2 May 2012 07:07

Hi Bryan,

I think (happy to be corrected if it isn't the case) that the "new" tree format is still being worked on and needs more stability adding to it. I recall seeing other members are reporting that they will stay with the old tree until the new tree is fully operational.

Have a look at discussion threads about the tree format on the "suggestions" board (click the link in the left hand column on this page).

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 May 2012 12:34

Hi Bryan

The "old" tree is the format used by everyone until Genes decided to revamp the site. They launched the new format without ironing out all the bugs and, as a result, received lots of complaints from tree-owners like you having problems. After a few weeks they reinstated the "old" tree as a temporary measure while the gremlins in the "new" tree were sorted.

Some people prefer the old version and some the new, but at the moment the old one is more reliable.

I get the impression that you are building your tree on this site. If so, may I recommend that you build it on your own computer on one of the many Family Tree programmes and upload it onto Genes by Gedcom. That way, if anything goes wrong with Genes, you won't lose all your hard work.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2012 13:43

The 'old' tree is far superior to the mish-mash that has been rolled out under the guise of an 'improved' version.

BryanA

BryanA Report 2 May 2012 20:45

Thanks all for your replies,

actually, as I work in the computer software industry (and therefore know about loss of data), I have been "exporting" my tree at the end of each day so that I will not lose everything.

Thanks all for all of the info.

Bryan.