Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New National Archives catalogue

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 2 May 2012 08:49

The National Archives are replacing their current Catalogue and DocumentsOnline service with Discovery.....

Discovery is The National Archives' new catalogue, providing a new way to explore our collections. Discovery is much more than a replacement for the current Catalogue, as it has been designed to host, search and display the many different databases and datasets held at The National Archives. By doing so it provides a more robust and integrated system to manage current and future data and storage needs, along with a consistent and seamless user experience.

Discovery will replace our DocumentsOnline service by the end of April 2012, ensuring that our users can search our collection and download digitised documents (where available), all in one place.

The Catalogue will be replaced by the end of June 2012. Discovery offers additional features to the current Catalogue, including displaying search results in order of relevance, allowing users to filter their search results by subject, date range and collection, and enabling users to tag records with keywords to expand on catalogue descriptions.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Home

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 2 May 2012 09:16

I think they are running a little behind as Documentsonline is still available.

I do like the idea of it all being brought under 'one roof' but in a way I hope that the search facility in the catalogue doesn't change too much.....Purely selfish of me as I have now got a grip on the current way of searching and I just know it will take me time to get up to speed with something new :-D I blame it on getting old!

All in all I think it is an exciting development.

Chris