Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viewing Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 3 May 2012 17:12

Hi,

If someone used to be a member on here but no longer, if they signed up for the free bit, can they still view a tree if I allow them to? Looks like I've managed to make contact with a very distant but who no longer has an account with GR. It will be much quicker than me trying to write down all the info, to let them look.

Thanks,

Jill

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 May 2012 17:17

Email them a copy of your Gedcom,

They can then open it with a free downloaded family tree program

Roy

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 3 May 2012 17:25

Thank you Roy,

Oh Golly. Technical speak. I've heard of Gedcom Roy but never gone near it. I'm a dinosaur. Think it's time to learn something new.

Is that the only way to do it? Ducks behind chair in fear of yes answer.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 3 May 2012 17:26

Please can you advise me about a free family tree program.

Thank you (I think)J

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 May 2012 17:45

First, Hover your mouse over family tree, top left, then the dropdown box will give you options, click on import Gedcom, then on the next page,
left side of the page is an option to Export your Gedcom, click on that and follow the instructions,

this often takes longer to send to your email than it Say's,
It will arrive as an attachment

then after that has arrived you can forward you email to your rellie,

Their are several places you can download a free program from below is a link to the family search LDS where they offer a (PAF) Personal Ancestral File

at the bottom of the page is the link to download the program

https://www.familysearch.org/products

Roy

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 3 May 2012 18:18

Thank you Roy.

Will have a go at this later or tomorrow. Give me a cake or something else to bake and I have no problem at all. Give me anything even remotely techical and panic sets in. I'm a crafter. In my element, I work with paper, colours, scissors etc. Silly and sad to not enjoy technology - but true.

Jill