Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know Northampton?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 4 May 2012 21:18

Can anyone tell me where the main cemetery is please. Im looking for the Durden family who were buried in 1899, 1930 and 1971. Possibly one was in a paupers grave. Im hoping that I can ask the staff if they have records as to where the people are buried. Thankyou.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 May 2012 21:38

According to Google there is a cemetery on Billing Road but I don't know if it is a current one or not.

Kath. x

RStar

RStar Report 4 May 2012 21:40

Thats what I thought Kathleen, I dont want to travel over there if people stopped being buried there yrs ago, or if the gates are locked at a certain time/day etc. Found out that the cemetery was bombed in the war and part of it destroyed.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 May 2012 21:41

There is a guide to cemeteries in Northampton here:-

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=16&pageNumber=1

It gives contact phone numbers and email address. The Billing Road cemetery is a closed cemetery.

Kath. x

RStar

RStar Report 4 May 2012 21:44

d.unamis.co.uk keeps coming up on my screen now, how odd. Thankyou Kath!!

Penny

Penny Report 4 May 2012 22:09

There are many. Billing road is really quite small, there are many many much ;larger. Do you know where your ancestors actually lived in the town?

RStar

RStar Report 4 May 2012 22:12

Honora Durden died at the hospital attached to the workhouse in 1930 and lived on Bridge St. Margaret died at Nazareth House care home in 1971. Joseph Durden died in 1899 on Bridge St. Thankyou.

Penny

Penny Report 4 May 2012 22:18

Honoura is quite possibly buried at St Edmunds Then, opposite the old workhouse. That on the Wellingborogh Rd, just outside the town centre.

The other two are quite possibly at Holy Sepulchre 'St Seps' Northampton.

Nazereth house still exists i think, they might have records. Ibelive its a RC home. Its possible margaret is buried in the Dallington cemetary, almost next door to Nazereth

RStar

RStar Report 4 May 2012 22:20

Thanks Penny thats really helpful, I'll organise a day to do the grand cemetery tour.

Penny

Penny Report 4 May 2012 22:21

Are you far away?

Dallington and Kingsthorpe are the two main cemetaries, also Towcester Road ( another possible from Nazereth house)

RStar

RStar Report 4 May 2012 22:28

No, only in Coventry but will be going over on the train and on foot to the cemeteries. Ive written and emailed Nazareth House, several different offices and depts but to no avail. Ive read on Rootschat that people do have difficulties getting anything from them; its definately RC.