Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

First cousins marrying. loading this in my tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roz

Roz Report 10 May 2012 11:33

I have 2 cases of first cousins marrying. I am struggling to find an effective way of loading this correctly. If I load the parents to the child, they end up getting duplicated in my tree. If I load from the top down IE parents to child, the spouse then gets duplicated, as they also have to be loaded as a child to another sibling. CLEAR? How do you link without duplicating common ancestors, who then marry. What is the correct sequence?

Thanks to anyone with a constructive solution. Roz

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 May 2012 11:42

Roz - I have lots of double-ups on my GR tree

an example - my grandad's brother married my grandma's sister, so I've had to duplicate some people and put notes, ie Kate's sister Jessie married John, brother of Robert ...........& John's brother Robert married Jessie's sister Kate.

I also have cousins marrying, not just 1st cousins. Notes of explanation all over my GR tree, saying where to find parents, siblings & children.

No idea how to do this by download.

Hopefully someone with the right knowledge will answer.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 May 2012 12:34

You cannot do what you wish with the tree here on GR

All you can do is make a note about the relationships.

I to have a brother & sister marrying another brother & sister. What I have done is the brother & sister who were my g/grans siblings I have added their spouses and in the notes for both couples have noted the relationships.

But as I rarely add the families who marry in, I have not got the parents shown of the brother & sister who married in. Far simpler and less complicated.

Thelma

Thelma Report 10 May 2012 12:43

I recently downloaded a free tree program from family search and transfered my GR tree to it.Took less than10 minutes to merge the eight double entries.

JerryH

JerryH Report 10 May 2012 13:40

This is a facility that Genes have been asked for many times over the years.
For example, I received a promise that this was being actively looked at about 6 months ago.
It is still not possible to do this on line.

However if you edit the relationships in a programme on your PC and then delaete the GR Gedcom and import a new one, the relationships will show correctly in immediate view but the tree is screwed up in any other..

The Downside is that replacing the Gedcom will result in losing all your Hot Matches and any records or Photos you may have added. Other people have reported losing data in the conversion process as there is more than one Gedcom standard. I was perhaps fortunate when I replaced my Gedcom that I was using a very old version of FTM.

So yes it is "possible" but I would not recommend it.

Jeremy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 May 2012 14:21

GEDCOMs are a quick way of transferring your tree information from one tree programme to another. But it is not perfect.

I lost about 10-20 people when I transferred mine from here to Ancestry.

So although the alternative is to do it all manually, a Gedcom is still the best solution.

It was designed originally I think by the Mormon church for use in their family centres and has been adopted by the genealogical community.

As for GR, with all the problems they have at the moment, asking for more 'improvements' will only add to the woe of everyone on here waiting for the recent 'improvements' to work. At present, the whole programme on here seems to be falling apart. :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 May 2012 16:27

The easiest way to work around this is to create a duplicate person and call them something like Ann Copy of Cooke.

As the other poster said then add notes for the original and the copy.

The GRU tree can be exported to GED and many other programs eg Ay can easily import this and make it easy to alter things so as to eliminate the copies. The posted GED caveats are correct.

I have half a dozen cousin marriages and two sets of two brothers marrying two sisters (same day too) so I found this very irritating from the get go.

For sure it is not a good idea to keep yr primary family tree here on GRU. First off there is the cousin marriage problem. Next at any moment the old tree view could vanish and you would be stuck with the new tree and a real and present danger of losing all or some of yr tree. It is worth keeping a copy tree here as from time to time you will encounter somebody sensible researching the same people poss even related. This happens every now and again and makes the rest of the hassles just about worth the trouble.

PP is right that the chances of GRU fixing this on top of all the bugs is low. In fact it is zero 'cos the mix of Flash and javascript which is used to build the site simply does not support the required data structures needed to support cousin etc marriages. Nevertheless they have been "looking into" this problem for several years.

The easiest way for PM et al to make this happen is to use C# - the Express version will do and the last I heard MS were bundling it with Weetabix for young Chinese developers so cost should not be a problem. Judging by the photos the team should be able to keep up.

At a guess they will have read the last rites for GRU long before this could come to pass. How GRU deals with West Virginia, Muslim and Mormon families heaven only knows. Maybe they could ask Mit Romney who is keen on genealogy lol.

Roz

Roz Report 10 May 2012 22:40

Confirmation of the sites inadequacies being at the core of this issue rather than the 'idiot factor" lying with me is in some way conforting.

All of the comments above are helpful and constructive so I thank you for your input and for some of your suggestions for more viable options for my tree which I will probably follow up.

Kind regards and thanks, Roz