Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

school teachers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 10 May 2012 20:00

How can i find which school or schools that a Annie and Elizabeth Luvate taught at in 1911 in Preston Lancs.

Diane

Ivy

Ivy Report 10 May 2012 20:20

Findmypast has Teachers Registration Council records from 1914 onwards, but does not produce any records for Luvate or variants (the search requires a surname).

My great great aunt is recorded as having registered in 1920, and then lists her experience from 1899 to 1922.

I wonder if this means that my relative did not register in 1914?
Was there any compulsion to register?

If your relatives are not on the register (which they may be, but transcribed under a different surname), then would that mean that they had left teaching before 1914 or before 1920?

Perhaps Preston local studies library could help further? Their contact details are here:

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/services/local/lsro.asp

Diane

Diane Report 10 May 2012 20:25

thankyou ivy.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 10 May 2012 20:32

Diane looking at the original census they taught in primary school run by the council"...am unable to make out the first word before council it may be borough......or Board...some schools in those days were called BOARD schools".....there may be records kept at the local archives. I would think that the school in question would be near to their address on the 1911. Usually school records are closed for 100 years" so you are lucky!

Diane

Diane Report 10 May 2012 20:51

many thanks Ann :-)

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 10 May 2012 22:43

what was the address on the 1911 census please

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 May 2012 07:37

Hi Ann,

The address is 5 Castleton Road.

There is still a road of that name in Preston today, and asking Google for nearby schools shows Deepdale Junior school as the nearest one for under 11's in St Stephen's road to the north of Castleton Road - PR1 6TD. (NB misplaced by Google mapsas south of Castleton Road in Deepdale Mill Street).

Kuros

Kuros Report 11 May 2012 11:05

School log books had to be kept by each headteacher and, when full, were sent to the local authority for safekeeping. You could try the local archives to see if they have these books. They should include lists of teachers and any changes of staff.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 May 2012 11:44

The image says they worked for the Boro Council Elementary School

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 11 May 2012 13:54

I can't see anything in the Lancs catalogue for this school but it would be worth contacting the Lancashire record office to see if they have any info. If they have let me know and I will try and have a look at it.

Diane

Diane Report 11 May 2012 20:04

many thanks to you all :-)